Media Advisory: New Science Academic Standards Review
August 20, 2021
CONTACT: Elizabeth Tullos
Tennesseans Invited to Submit Feedback on Science Academic Standards
(NASHVILLE, Tenn.) — The State Board of Education is inviting residents to share their feedback on the Tennessee Academic Standards for science through Friday, September 24, 2021.
- Dr. Sara Morrison, State Board of Education executive director
- Amy Owen, State Board of Education director of policy and research
- Catherine Johnson, State Board of Education policy coordinator and standards review lead project manager
- Nathan James, State Board of Education director of legislative and external affairs
- Media call to preview the 2021 science academic standards review process and how the public can submit feedback.
- URL: https://tn.webex.com/tn/j.php?MTID=ma3690c1886fbc89676f8091edeae5583
- Password: 5corevalues
- Monday, August 23, 2021 at 2:00 PM CT
Established in law in 2015, Tennessee’s process for updating academic standards on math, English language arts, social studies and science is among the most transparent and comprehensive in the nation. This initial public survey on the science academic standards begins a year-long process that includes two rounds of public feedback and multiple committees of Tennessee educators. An overview of the academic standards review process is available on the State Board of Education website.
The Tennessee State Board of Education is a ten-member, governor-appointed and legislatively confirmed board charged under the law with rulemaking and policymaking for K-12 education. Through a close partnership with the Tennessee Department of Education, the Board maintains oversight in K-12 implementation and academic standards.