Pursuant to T.C.A. § 49-13-145, the State Board shall ensure the effective operation of charter school authorizers in the state and shall evaluate authorizer quality. The State Board is charged with conducting periodic evaluations of authorizers to determine authorizer compliance. An authorizer’s failure to remedy non-compliance may result in the reduction of the authorizer fee.
Authorizers are evaluated at least every two years. All six of the charter school authorizers in Tennessee are evaluated.
- Achievement School District
- Hamilton County Schools
- Knox County Schools
- Metro Nashville Public Schools
- Shelby County Schools
- Tennessee Public Charter School Commission
The State Board's Authorizer Evaluation process is outlined in State Board Rule 0520-14-01-.08, State Board Policy 6.113, and the following documents:
- 2022 Authorizer Evaluation - Authorizer Handbook
- 2022 Authorizer Evaluation - Corrective Action Plan Template
- 2022 Authorizer Evaluation - Non-Evaluation Year Self-Assessment
- 2022 Authorizer Evaluation - Evaluator Guide
- 2022 Authorizer Evaluation - Evaluator Additional Guidance
- 2022 Authorizer Evaluation - Rubric
TN Authorizer Connect
The State Board hosts a bimonthly authorizer meet-up to provide authorizers and charter support agencies the opportunity to connect and share resources on a variety of topics. To receive information about the next meet-up, please contact Ali Gaffey at firstname.lastname@example.org.