The Office of Training and Professional Development strives to offer foster parents relevant, current information to provide parents with the tools needed to raise a foster child in today’s ever changing world.
The training DCS offers includes information to:
- Handle routine matters such as medical and psychological care, clothing needs, education and visitation with the birth family.
- Provide foster parents with the skills needed to handle problems as they arise.
- Develop problem-solving and teamwork skills.
- Teach foster parents the required ethical and legal standards for compliance.
- Assist foster parents in anticipating the negative, critical or distrustful attitudes that foster children often exhibit.
- Identify elements of the child’s behavior that can be attributed to the experience of being in foster care.
- Build positive relationships with birth families and DCS staff.