Hemp Industry

Notice to Customers

Important Information from the Department of Revenue  23-12: Taxability of Hemp-Derived Cannabinoids (tn.gov)


Hemp Producer, Propagator, Broker Application
A license must be obtained in order to grow hemp in Tennessee.

Click here to submit a hemp application.
NOTE* Click here to submit a change to your hemp application


The Tennessee Department of Agriculture is making it easier for customers to interact with the Division of Consumer and Industry Services.

Invoices, licenses, and permits have a new look in 2023. Streamlining the documents makes them simpler to interpret and understand.

A new, secure online portal is easing access to invoice, license, and permit information. Business owners can see the status of a license or registration, when payment is due, and the balance owed. Additionally, payments can be made online with a credit card or eCheck, eliminating the need to send payments through the mail. 

The following programs transitioned to the new Trace First portal May 1:

·       Ag Inputs (Feed, Seed, Fertilizer, Lime)

·       Hemp

·       Plant Certification

·       Weights and Measures

As always, we appreciate your partnership in serving the citizens of Tennessee. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to the Consumer and Industry Services Division at (615) 837-5150.

Harvesting Hemp in Tennessee

This is an exciting time for hemp production in Tennessee. In an effort to streamline the regulatory process for farmers, the Tennessee Department of Agriculture offers the following guidelines:

Do I need a movement permit?

You must have a movement permit before transporting rooted hemp plants and/or transporting harvested hemp to a processor for commercial purposes. Although it’s not required in all instances, we strongly encourage you to have a permit before moving any hemp plants or plant material. It takes only a few minutes to apply for a movement permit online here.

Do I need to carry my hemp growing license?

Although it’s not required, we strongly encourage you to carry your hemp growing license when transporting any hemp plants or plant material.

Questions for Us?

Email industrial.hemp@tn.gov or call 615-837-5137.

TDA Logo

Role: The Tennessee Department of Agriculture coordinates the rules and regulations of hemp production through Tennessee's hemp program.

Contact Information: Email industrial.hemp@tn.gov or call 615-837-5137

Relevant Questions: 

  • Do I need a movement permit?
  • Can I add a growing area?
  • Can you tell me the rules?
UT Extension Logo

Role: UT Extension helps Tennesseans to improve their quality of life and solve problems through the application of research and evidenced-based knowledge about agriculture and natural resources.

Contact Information: Call or email your local extension office. Full list of county offices is available here.

Relevant Questions: 

  • How do I plant this crop?
  • Do you have soil amendment suggestions?
  • How much water should these plants get?
UT Extension Logo

Role: The Farm Service Agency supports farms and farming communities with programs including disaster relief, conservation programs, commodity price guarantee programs, and loan programs.

Contact Information:

Website: Farm Service Agency
Contact: Contact the Farm Service Agency
Local Offices: Find the Farm Service Agency Office Near You

Main Address: 1400 Independence Ave., SW, STOP 0506, Washington, DC 20250-0506

Forms: Farm Service Agency Forms

Government branch: Executive Department Sub-Office/Agency/Bureau

Relevant Questions: 

  • How do I get a farm number?
  • What is an Acreage Report and when is it due?
  • Are there programs available for hemp?