Skip to Main Content

Tennesseans 16+: Now Eligible for a COVID-19 Vaccine
Click here for instructions on filing notices for catered events.

Server Permit

An On-Premise Permit (Server Permit) allows any person to serve liquor, wine and high gravity beer at an establishment that holds an On-Premise Consumption License (Liquor By the Drink License).

This permit is valid for five (5) years from the date of issue.

You can apply for this permit using RLPS. For more information on how to apply for a server permit, please visit the RLPS tutorial page.


  • Applicant for an On-Premise Server Permit must be at least eighteen (18) years old
  • Applicant must complete a TABC certified alcohol awareness program within the previous year prior to applying for an On-Premise Server permit
    • The Certificate indicating successful completion of the class is not a TABC server permit. Please remember that servers must attend and pass a TABC certified alcohol awareness class within one year of the date of application for the server permit. If the permit is not obtained within one year of successfully completing the class, then servers must attend and pass the training course again
    • New servers have a sixty-one (61) day grace period from the original date of hire to attend a TABC certified alcohol awareness training class and have a server permit on file with the establishment of hire. This is a one-time grace period, not available every time a server changes employers
  • On-Premise Consumption licensees must have copies of all server permits available for review by the TABC at all times, and failure to do so could result in disciplinary and administrative actions


  • An individual may not have a felony conviction for an offense that bears directly on the applicant’s fitness to practice competently, as determined by the commission.
  • An individual may not have a conviction for any crime related to the sale of alcoholic beverages, beer, schedules 1 and 2 controlled substances, controlled substance analogues, or any sex related crime, or embezzlement within the previous eight (8) years
  • An individual may not have had an employee or server permit or similar permit issued in a foreign jurisdiction revoked by an issuing authority within the previous five (5) years
  • An individual may not have had any ownership interest in any wholesale, retail, liquor-by-the-drink, or beer license or permit revoked by the using authority within the previous eight (8) years