Tag Before You Drag, Game Check In Procedures
Before moving your harvested big game, you must either check it in on your smartphone or physically tag the animal and check it in before midnight. These procedures are a requirement for everyone, including landowners and those exempt from license requirements.
The harvest confirmation number is important! After check-in, it must be available for inspection by TWRA personnel until the time of final processing. It must accompany an animal taken to a taxidermist, meat processor, or gifted to another person. It is a violation of the law to provide false information during the check-in process. By completing the required check-in information, whether on paper or electronic form, the hunter is affirming that the information as it appears on the permanent record is valid and correct.
- Big game must be checked in by midnight on the day of harvest and before being gifted to another person or leaving the state.
- Temporary Transportation Tag must remain affixed to the animal until it is checked in.
- Evidence of the animal’s sex, species, and antlered status (if applicable) must remain with the animal while afield and until checked in.
- Bears may be whole or field dressed but must weigh 75 lbs. or greater when possessed afield. If bears are quartered or boned out, the total of the meat, hide, etc., must equal or exceed 75 lbs.
- Special Instructions apply for Elk, our Elk Hunting Regulations for more information on Elk.
TWRA On The Go App, The easy way - with or without cell service.
Reporting a harvest has never been easier with the TWRA On the Go App.
Report your harvest with or without cell service before you move the game. You will immediately receive a harvest confirmation number.
Available in the Apple App Store and on Google Play. It stores your license information and allows you to electronically tag/check-in your harvest in the field. You don’t need to carry any paper while you're hunting!
The TWRA On The Go app works even when you're out of cell signal range. Just check-in your harvest on location, and a harvest confirmation number will be generated. Your information will be automatically submitted to TWRA when you are back in range of a signal.
Or use Temporary Transportation tags on your license printout.
No mobile phone? No problem. You can use temporary transportation tags.
Temporary transportation tags can be found on your license printout. Cut one out and attach it to your game prior to moving it. See an Example.
The hunter is responsible for making sure the tag remains intact. You are still required to check in the game online at GoOutdoorsTennessee.com or at a physical check station no later than midnight on the day of the harvest.
If you need additional tags or are exempt from license requirements (Ex: Landowners) and need a transportation tag, you can download them at GoOutdoorsTennessee.com.
Questions? Use the Contact Us page.