Obtaining a Driving Record (MVR)
- Cost: $7.00 - credit/check card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover)
- You cannot use a prepaid card
- Requires: Driver name, Date of Birth, TN Driver License Number
- You will need a computer to print or save your MVR
Go to a Driver Services Center
You, or any person authorized by you, may obtain a copy of your driver record (also called a motor vehicle record, or MVR) in person at any of our Driver Services Centers.
You will need the following when requesting your record:
- Date of Birth
- TN Driver License Number
If you want someone else to obtain a copy of your MVR for you, you must submit a notarized statement authorizing that person to obtain the record.
- Mail your request to:
Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security
PO BOX 945
Nashville, TN 37202
- Cost: $5 - send cashier's check or money order payable to Tennessee Dept. of Safety
- Include: Driver Name, Birth Date, TN Driver License Number
- Allow two weeks from the mailing date to receive the driver record.
What you should know about getting your MVR
- The MVR is an official copy of your driving record.
- The MVR will show the past three years of driving history
- To protect your privacy, the MVR does not display your address.
The federal Driver Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) prohibits the release of personal identifying information from driver license and vehicle registration records unless an individual submits a form requesting their records be open.