Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HME)

Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) Requirements For Haz Mat (H) Endorsements

Please review ELDT requirements to obtain the Hazardous Material Endorsements at the following page: ELDT Info

For more information about the ELDT regulations and the Training Provider registry, visit https://tpr.fmcsa.dot.gov/

What is the Tennessee procedure?

The security threat assessment is now initiated through the Hazardous Material Endorsement Enrollment website universalenroll.dhs.gov, not at the Driver Service Centers.

Step 1 - Filling Out the Application

You should complete the TSA HAZPRINT driver application on the Hazardous Material Endorsement Enrollment website universalenroll.dhs.gov or by calling the UES Call Center at 1-855-347- 8371​. The operator at the desk will guide you through the process and ensure the application is completed correctly. You can also call the help desk at any time if you have questions about the website. It is important to note that the application must be completed either online or through the help desk, prior to arriving at the fingerprint capture location. It cannot be done at the fingerprinting site.

What will the cost be?

Included with the application process is the payment of an $86.50 fee. The acceptable forms of payment are credit card, money order, company check or certified/cashier’s check. You can pay by credit card directly on the website or by providing the information to the operator at the UES Call Center. Electronic payments are the most secure and convenient and will save time at the fingerprint collection site. For those drivers who choose not to pay electronically, the driver must bring a money order in the amount of $86.50, made out to MorphoTrust USA (TSA’s agent for the HazPrint Program), to the fingerprint collection site. Remember, whatever payment method is chosen, you must complete the application online or by calling the help desk in advance of being fingerprinted, as the fingerprint collection site cannot fingerprint a driver who has not completed the HAZPRINT application and paid the $86.50 fee.

Step 2 - Getting Fingerprinted

Your fingerprints can be collected at one of more than 100 fixed and mobile sites in the United States. The Hazardous Material Endorsement Enrollment website universalenroll.dhs.gov and the UES Call Center, 1-855-347- 8371, are the best sources of information on current site locations, operating hours, and driving directions to the site. Drivers from any of the participating agent states can be printed at any of the agent’s sites — even those in another state. ​(Please note that the following states are NOT participating agent states: Florida, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin). You will be required to provide two forms of identification prior to being fingerprinted. Please refer to the “proper ID types” listed at Hazardous Material Endorsement Enrollment website universalenroll.dhs.gov. In addition to being fingerprinted, the driver will be asked to review and electronically sign the application to verify its accuracy.

NOTE: The fingerprint capture location only collects and forwards the fingerprints. They do not have specific information about the program, nor will they receive status reports after the submission is made.

How will applicants know when the process

is complete?

Step 3 - Security Threat Assessment

Based on the data provided on the HAZPRINT application, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will perform a threat assessment for each driver applicant. The results of this assessment will be provided directly to the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security. The applicant will also receive a letter from TSA with the results of the assessment.

Step 4 - Status

Approximately six weeks after the applicant has been fingerprinted, if he/she has not received a letter from the TSA, information on the status of an application should be available at the UES Call Center at 1-855-347-8371​.

Step 5 - Receiving the Hazardous Material Endorsement

When the applicant has been cleared by TSA for issuance of the Hazardous Material Endorsement, they must proceed to a State of Tennessee Driver Service Center.

Is a Vision test required?

Yes. The vision test can only be taken after the applicant has been cleared by TSA for issuance of the Hazardous Material Endorsement.

The vision test must be taken at a State of Tennessee Driver Service Center and passed before an applicant can take the knowledge test. Click here to locate a State of Tennessee Driver Service Center.

Is a Knowledge test required?

Yes. The knowledge test can only be taken after the applicant has been cleared by TSA for issuance of the Hazardous Material Endorsement and by passing the vision test.

The knowledge test must be taken at a State of Tennessee Driver Service Center. It can only be taken after the assessment and vision test are successfully completed. The knowledge test must be passed before issuance of the endorsement. Click here to locate a State of Tennessee Driver Service Center.

Will additional identification have to be shown

to the driver’s license examiner at the time the

endorsement is issued?

Yes. You must present two of the following proofs of Domicile to the Driver License Examiner at the time the endorsement is issued:


  1. Current utility bill including landline telephone, electric, water, gas, cable, etc. (Wireless telephone bills cannot be accepted).
  2. Current vehicle registration (personal vehicle not company vehicle) dated within the last 12 months.
  3. TN vehicle title showing TN address (but can’t use a title and vehicle registration as both proofs).
  4. Mortgage papers – such as the property deed or mortgage payment coupon/book.
  5. Copy of Lease Agreement or Contract with notarized signatures OR accompanied by signed realty agency letterhead confirming lease validity.
  6. Voter registration card – NOT the application for voter registration.
  7. Military LES papers listing Tennessee as home of record.
  8. Current filed tax return - not tax return booklet.

All documents must include a Tennessee residential address--the SAME residential address must be on each document presented. No photocopies accepted!

Federal Regulation (49 CFR, Part 383.71) requires that proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency be shown. You must present one of the following to the Driver License Examiner at the time the endorsement is issued:

Status of U.S. Citizen Status of Lawful Permanent Resident
U.S. Passport Permanent Resident Card, Alien Registration Receipt Card (form I-551)
U.S. Certificate of Birth that bears an official seal and was issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States. Temporary I-551 stamp in foreign passport
Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (Form FS-545 or DS-1350) Temporary I-551 stamp on Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, with photograph of the bearer
Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570) Reentry Permit (form I-327)
Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)  

DOT Medical Card

  • Applicants must possess and produce an original or legible and valid copy of a DOT Medical Card.

Where can one find additional information

including a list of the HME disqualifying crimes?

Additional information can be found at www.tsa.gov (HAZMAT).

Apply Online