The previous administration’s EmPower initiative aimed to reduce energy consumption and costs for State-owned and managed facilities through the implementation of energy efficiency projects and energy management systems. Using energy more efficiently is a critical first step in reducing costs and improving the State’s environmental footprint.
EmPower TN At a Glance:
• $37.5 million appropriated for State energy efficiency projects in the FY2016 budget.
• As of 5.23.2022, $37.4 million are obligated to 40 energy efficiency projects benefiting 70 State-owned facilities across Tennessee.
• The estimated annual utility savings are $4.2 million/year with an average project simple payback of 8.9 years.
• The estimated annual energy savings are 34.1 million kWh.
EmPower TN Energy Conservation Measures:
• Optimization of Building Automation Systems (Existing Building Commissioning)
• Installation of LED lighting and control systems
• Installation of wireless thermostats for unitary equipment
• Mechanical upgrades for chilled water valves (energy smart digital valves with controls)
• Replacement of inefficient HVAC equipment
• Boiler replacements (condensing boilers)
• Cooling Tower replacements
• Mechanical upgrades for portable water plumbing systems