Skip to Main Content

Tennesseans 12+: Now Eligible for a COVID-19 Vaccine
TDEC COVID-19 Response and Resources

Johnson City Environmental Field Office

**Appointment-Only Model for In-Person Services – In order to protect our staff, citizens and stakeholders, TDEC has implemented an appointment-only model of providing in-person services at various locations, including our central office in the Tennessee Tower, eight environmental field offices, the Oak Ridge oversight office and Fleming Training Center. This model will allow us to better ensure continued delivery of services, implementation of consistent social distancing, and time to clean any shared public spaces.

2305 Silverdale Road, Johnson City, TN 37601-2162 | Phone: (423) 854-5400 | FAX: (423) 854-5401

Counties Served

Carter, Greene, Hancock, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi, Washington

Interested in TDEC News affecting the Johnson City Region?  ​

If you are uncertain who to contact, please call 423-854-5400 and the receptionist will direct your call.

Septic Information:

For existing septic system layouts, and public records requests, please call 423-854-5392 for 24-hour automated assistance. To locate a septic layout, please email request to: Include your property address, subdivision name (if applicable), original owner’s name, and previous owner’s name. 

To apply online for a new septic permit, please call 423-854-5124 for 24-hour automated assistance.

Regional Director - Office of External Affairs

Jan Compton
(423) 240-0675

Administrative Services

The administrative staff is responsible for coordinating all Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), public records requests.  If you are unable to locate the information you are looking for listed under a specific division below or from an online data viewer or database, you may submit an information request for any division using either of the following links:

Judy Jarrett
(423) 854-5404

Air Pollution Control

The Division of Air Pollution Control maintains the purity of the air resources of the State of Tennessee. They establish emissions standards and procedure requirements to monitor industries in the State through permits and serve as the administrative agency of the Tennessee Air Pollution Control Board and address issues of open burning.

  • View the Air Pollution Permit Database
    Data Viewer Note: Internet Explorer is no longer supported for our Data Viewer applications. Please use one of the following browsers: Chrome, Fire Fox or Edge.

For burn permits please contact the Tennessee Department of Agriculture, Burn Safe TN or call the phone number for the correct county. Visit the Burn Safe TN Website for Burn Permits

For potential violations to the State of Tennessee’s Air Pollution Control Open Burning Regulations, please call the main line, 423-854-5400, and ask to speak to an available APC staff member to register a complaint. Learn More About Open Burning

Air Pollution Control Field Office general email

Amanda Davis
(423) 854-0114

Petroleum Underground Storage Tank Facilities (e.g. Gas Stations)

The Division of Underground Storage Tanks protects human health and the environment by preventing future petroleum underground storage tank releases and remediating existing petroleum underground storage tank contamination from regulated tanks.

Kevin Rice 
(423) 854-5441

Solid (Trash) & Hazardous Wastes

The Division of Solid Waste Management protects, improves, and promotes health and environmental quality thorough the responsive, effective oversight of waste management activities and the beneficial use of recovered materials.

  • View the Solid Waste Management Database
    Data Viewer Note: Internet Explorer is no longer supported for our Data Viewer applications. Please use one of the following browsers: Chrome, Fire Fox or Edge.

Chris Lamb 
(423) 794-7119

Division of Water Resources

The Division of Water Resources manages, protects, and enhances the quality of the state’s water resources through voluntary, regulatory, and educational programs. The Division is divided into smaller sections by water resource topical area. If you need assistance, please call our main line phone number (423) 854-5400 and the receptionist will transfer you to the appropriate person.

Helpful Links: 

Dane Cutshaw
(423) 483-0670

This Page Last Updated: June 21, 2021 at 12:35 PM