Skip to Main Content

Tennesseans 16+: Now Eligible for a COVID-19 Vaccine
TDEC COVID-19 Response and Resources

Cookeville Environmental Field Office

**Appointment-Only Model for In-Person Services – In order to protect our staff, citizens and stakeholders, TDEC has implemented an appointment-only model of providing in-person services at various locations, including our central office in the Tennessee Tower, eight environmental field offices, the Oak Ridge oversight office and Fleming Training Center. This model will allow us to better ensure continued delivery of services, implementation of consistent social distancing, and time to clean any shared public spaces.


1221 South Willow Avenue, Cookeville, Tennessee 38506 | Phone: (931) 520-6688 | FAX: (931) 432-6952

Counties Served

Cannon, Clay, Cumberland, Dekalb, Fentress, Jackson, Macon, Overton, Pickett, Putnam, Smith, Van Buren, Warren, White

Interested in TDEC News affecting the Cookeville Region?  ​Sign up for TDEC's Cookeville Regional e-newsletter

Cookeville Contact Information

If you are uncertain who to contact, please call our main line at (931) 520-6688 and the receptionist will direct your call.

External Affairs

The Office of External Affairs serves as TDEC’s primary point of contact for the general public and stakeholders in a respective region and serves as the public outreach arm for the Commissioner’s Office.

Regional Director
Tara Wohlgemuth
(931) 287-7995

Administrative Services

Administrative staff supports all divisions within the Cookeville Field Office, provides space and facilities management, and serves inner-office human resource needs.

The administrative staff is also responsible for coordinating all Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), public records requests.  If you are unable to locate the information you are looking for listed under a specific division below or from an online data viewer or database, you may submit an information request for any division using either of the following links:

Submit an Ask TDEC information request

Submit a Public Records Request

Administrative Services Field Office general email

Jo Thurman 
(931) 520-6655

Air Pollution Control

The Division of Air Pollution Control maintains the purity of the air resources of the State of Tennessee. They establish emissions standards and procedure requirements to monitor industries in the State through permits and serve as the administrative agency of the Tennessee Air Pollution Control Board and address issues of open burning. 

View the Air Pollution Permit Database

For burn permits please contact the Tennessee Department of Agriculture, Burn Safe TN or call the phone number for the correct county. 

Visit the Burn Safe TN Website for Burn Permits

Air Pollution Control Field Office general email

Amelia Poe
(423) 634-5768

Petroleum Underground Storage Tank Facilities (e.g. Gas Stations)

The Division of Underground Storage Tanks protects human health and the environment by preventing future petroleum underground storage tank releases and remediating existing petroleum underground storage tank contamination from regulated tanks. The division also monitors and requires that citizens who have stored petroleum in regulated underground storage tanks, or who bring a new underground storage tank into use, notify the division.

Frank (Mac) Pointer           
(931) 520-6669

Solid (Trash) & Hazardous Wastes

The Division of Solid Waste Management protects, improves, and promotes health and environmental quality thorough the responsive, effective oversight of waste management activities and the beneficial use of recovered materials. The division has several programs that deal with different kinds of waste, from solid to hazardous and from recyclables to food. 

View the Solid Waste Management Database

Nicholas Stengel
(931) 520-6663


Division of Water Resources

The Division of Water Resources manages, protects, and enhances the quality of the state’s water resources through voluntary, regulatory, and educational programs. The Division is divided into smaller sections by water resource topical area. If you need assistance, please call our main line phone number and the receptionist will transfer you to the appropriate person.

Environmental Field Office Main Line: (931) 520-6688

Helpful Links: 

Brad Ulmer 
(931) 520-6672

This Page Last Updated: April 22, 2021 at 3:37 PM