Wildlife Taxidermy

Taxidermy Permit Information

Any person, before engaging in the practice of taxidermy, which includes stuffing, mounting, and preparing skins of wild birds, animals, and fish for sale or for hire, must first obtain a permit to do so.

TWRA does not guarantee the quality of work for any permitted taxidermist.  We recommend that you contact several permitted taxidermists to find the one that best suits your needs.

Full Name Email Phone Number Address Zip County Region Business Name

Taxidermy FAQ's

Do I need a taxidermy permit to mount my own trophies?

No, mounting your own trophies does not require a taxidermy permit.

Do I need a taxidermy permit to do European mounts?

Yes, European mounts fall under the business of taxidermy.

Do I need any other permits to mount waterfowl?

Yes, you will also need a federal taxidermist permit.  You may obtain a permit from the USFWS (Southeastern Office, Atlanta GA).  For a pdf version of the application click here: www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-8.pdf

Can I sell unclaimed trophies?

Yes, by law, you can only sell the unclaimed trophy for the original price.  You may not sell unclaimed trophies for more than the original quoted price.  You may not sell any bear mounts or parts of the bear.

What animals may I mount?

You may mount any game animal that has been taken by legal means. 

Is “roadkill” a legal means?

Yes, as long as the person presenting the animal has followed all the guidelines concerning the roadkill law. 

What documentation do I need for trophies I’m preparing?

When you purchase a taxidermy permit, TWRA provides a binder containing all the forms you will need to conduct your business.