James K. Polk Building, Suite 900
505 Deaderick Street
Nashville, Tennessee 37243-0344
Freight planning is an important component of state and metropolitan transportation planning processes. Because of its strategic central location, Tennessee’s freight infrastructure is critical to trade flows throughout the country. The TDOT Freight Planning Office is responsible for collaborating with transportation agencies and public and private partners to coordinate statewide freight planning efforts.
TDOT provides freight planning support to Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) upon request by providing freight data (such as Transearch) and assisting with small freight projects. In 2013, a statewide Freight Advisory Committee (FAC) was established to assist in developing a comprehensive State Freight Plan for Tennessee.
FREIGHT NEWS AND UPDATES
TDOT is in the process of updating the SMFP, which is required every four years. As part of the update, your input is needed. Please take a moment to participate in our survey.
What is the Statewide Multimodal Freight Plan (SMFP)?
- Guides advancement of the multimodal freight transportation system
- Assesses all freight modes and intermodal connectivity
- Identifies freight needs and issues
- Creates recommendations for policies, programs, projects and processes
- Serves as a roadmap for future investment
Take the Statewide Multimodal Freight Plan Participant Survey
Statewide Multimodal Freight Plan
- 2022 Tennessee Statewide Freight Bottleneck Study
- Statewide Multimodal Freight Plan
- Statewide Freight Advisory Committee
Statewide Rail Plan
- Statewide Rail Plan Final
- Statewide Rail Plan Appendix 1
- Statewide Rail Plan Appendix 2
- Download the May 30, 2018 FAC Webinar Slides (PDF)
National Economic Partnerships (NEP)
- Future Freight Movemnt along Freight Alley - The Greater Chattanooga Region
- NEP funding for multi-jurisdictional coordination
For additional information regarding freight planning, contact TDOT Freight Planning Program Monitor Adam Jaeckel (615)253-5938
For information regarding the permitting and operation of oversize/overweight vehicles, call (615) 741-3821 or visit the TDOT Central Services Oversize & Overweight Permit Office website.
For information regarding commercial vehicle enforcement, call (615) 743-4990 or visit the Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security Commercial Vehicle Enforcement website.