I-75 Interchange Modifications at Hamilton Place MallHamilton County
The I-75 Interchange at Hamilton Place Mall project extends approximately 1.7 miles along I-75 from south of the Hamilton Place Blvd. interchange to north of the Shallowford Road interchange. The project expands the interchange to a full access facility by providing for a southbound I-75 exit to Hamilton Place Blvd, and northbound I-75 access from Hamilton Place Blvd.
The new I-75 southbound access will share an exit with Shallowford Road. The new ramp will go underneath the Shallowford Road bridge, over the I-75 southbound entrance ramp from Shallowford Road, and then cross over the interstate near the existing I-75 southbound entrance ramp from Hamilton Place Blvd.
The I-75 new northbound access will enter the on-ramp at the intersection of Hamilton Place Blvd and the entrance to the Mall Ring Road. The new ramp will go over the I-75 northbound exit ramp to Shallowford Road, underneath the Shallowford Road bridge, and then merge with the I-75 northbound Shallowford Road entrance ramp traffic before merging with I-75 northbound.
The Hamilton Place Boulevard project is a City of Chattanooga (CDOT) project. The project will widen Hamilton Place Blvd and includes three intersections along Hamilton Place Blvd.:
Upgrades to the existing intersection of Hamilton Place Blvd./I-75 northbound exit ramp/Goodwin Road;
A new signal at the intersection of the I-75 southbound entrance and exit ramps;
A new signal at the intersection of the new I-75 northbound entrance ramp/mall entrance road.
The two projects will be let together in one TDOT contract and managed by TDOT during construction.
Purpose and Need
The purpose of this project is to improve the efficiency and sustainability of the existing transportation network, reduce delay on surface streets and provide a fully directional interchange on I-75 at Hamilton Place Boulevard in lieu of the existing partial access interchange that presently exists at this location.
I-75 Interchange @ Hamilton Place Mall:
- Grading, concrete paving, and drainage of two (2) new interstate ramps with 16-ft lanes, 6-ft inside shoulders, and 8-ft outside shoulders.
- Three (3) new bridges, including:
- A new 225-ft, 2-span bridge over I-75.
- A new 991-ft, 6-span bridge over the I-75 northbound exit ramp to Shallowford Rd.
- A new 1,414-ft, 11-span bridge over the I-75 southbound entrance ramp from Shallowford Rd.
- Nine (9) new retaining walls.
- One (1) new noise wall along the southbound side of I-75 at the north end of the project .
- Deck repair work on the existing ramp and Shallowford Rd. bridges over I-75.
- Concrete repair work along I-75.
- New signing including six (6) new overhead signs.
- Interstate and ramp lighting.
Hamilton Place Blvd:
- Grading, paving, and drainage of a multilane roadway (number of lanes varies) with curb & gutter, 11-ft lanes, no shoulders, and 5-ft sidewalks along the east side of the roadway.
- Three signalized intersections.
- One (1) new retaining wall.
- Street-level lighting.