Local Programs Training
This page details the optional and required trainings for local governments wishing to administer State and Federal Aid projects through the Local Programs Development Office.
The Local Programs Development Office offers required Local Government Guidelines Manual and Right-of-Way Training. This is a 1½ day class which is offered 4-5 times per year. The certification is valid for a period of three years, and it is an individual certification.
There is also a required Consultant Engineering and Inspection (CEI) Training Course for local governments and their respective CEI staff/consultants who wish to perform the CEI requirements on State and Federally funded projects. There are two levels of participation. The first level (One-Day Training Class) will address the needs of local government officials and administrators concerned with managing program funding and overseeing the construction phase. The second level (Two-Day Training Class) will focus on CEI Consultants and local governments that wish to perform their own CEI services on construction projects. The certification is valid for a period of five years.
To be added to the training class email distribution list, email email@example.com.
TDOT’s Local Programs Development and Right-of-Way Offices will be holding trainings which are required for local municipalities and professional engineering firms in order to locally manage a TDOT project through the Local Programs Development Office. This class will teach the six phases of project development per the Local Government Guidelines Manual. It is required to attend at least one of these classes every three years in order to locally manage a project through the Local Programs Development Office.
There is no fee for Tennessee city or county employees. Registration fees for Tennessee RPOs/MPOs/TPOs and Development Districts are $25 per person. The registration fee for all other attendees will be $50 per person. Classes fill up quickly on a first-come basis, so register soon!
Registration for the following two cities is now open:
Nashville Class - February 13th and 14th
TDOT Region 3 Auditorium
6601 Centennial Blvd
February 13th from 9:00 - 4:00 CST
February 14th from 9:00 - 11:30 CST
Jackson Class - May 2nd and 3rd
TDOT Region 4 Auditorium
300 Benchmark Place
May 2nd from 9:00 - 4:00 CST
May 3rd from 9:00 - 11:30 CST
Registration is not open for Knoxville and Chattanooga yet, so Save the Date!
August 15th and 16th - Knoxville, Region 1
November 14th and 15th - Chattanooga, Region 2
The Office of Local Program Development is offering a Construction Engineering and Inspection (CEI) Training Course, which is required for all local governments and CEIs to take every five years.
The course has two levels of certification:
- The first level (One-Day Training Class) will address the needs of local government officials and administrators concerned with managing program funding and overseeing the construction phase. This class will teach you what to expect out of your CEI. Only local governments are allowed to attend this class.
- The second level (Two-Day Training Class) will focus on those local governments that wish to perform their own CEI and consultants who wish to perform the CEI for local governments. The primary goal of the second level training is to ensure that CEIs fully understand the extent of their responsibilities. This class will walk through the forms, procedures, and potential issues during the construction phase.
2018 CEI Training Classes:
The dates for the 2018 classes have not been finalized, but these classes typically take place in the months of May and June of each year.
If you are on the list attached below, you are currently Level 1 certified (eligible to manage a CEI):
If you are on the list attached below, you are currently Level 2 certified (eligible to conduct CEI services on locally managed projects):
- Local Government Guidelines Presentation - Region 2, November 2017 Class
- Local Government Guidelines Class Supplemental Packet for August 2017
- 2017 Right-of-Way Acquisition and Utility Relocation Presentation
- 2017 CEI Training Class PowerPoint
- 2017 Supplemental Materials for CEI Classes
Additional Training Opportunities
Frequently Asked Questions