Local Programs Training
This page details the optional and required trainings for local governments wishing to administer State and Federal Aid projects through the Local Programs Development Office.
The Local Programs Development Office offers required Local Government Guidelines Manual and Right-of-Way Training. This is a 1½ day class which is offered 4-5 times per year. The certification is valid for a period of three years, and it is an individual certification.
There is also a required Consultant Engineering and Inspection (CEI) Training Course for local governments and their respective CEI staff/consultants who wish to perform the CEI requirements on State and Federally funded projects. There are two levels of participation. The first level (One-Day Training Class) will address the needs of local government officials and administrators concerned with managing program funding and overseeing the construction phase. The second level (Two-Day Training Class) will focus on CEI Consultants and local governments that wish to perform their own CEI services on construction projects. The certification is valid for a period of five years.
To be added to the training class email distribution list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
TDOT’s Local Programs Development and Right-of-Way Offices will be holding trainings which are required for local municipalities and professional engineering firms in order to locally manage a TDOT project through the Local Programs Development Office. This class will teach the six phases of project development per the Local Government Guidelines Manual. It is required to attend at least one of these classes every three years in order to locally manage a project through the Local Programs Development Office.
There is no fee for Tennessee city or county employees. Registration fees for Tennessee RPOs/MPOs/TPOs and Development Districts are $25 per person. The registration fee for all other attendees will be $50 per person. Classes fill up quickly on a first-come basis, so register soon!
Registration for the following two cities is now open:
Nashville Class - June 24th and 25th
TDOT Region 3 Auditorium
6601 Centennial Blvd
June 24th from 8:30 - 3:30 CT
June 25th from 8:30 - 11:30 CT
Chattanooga Class - June 24th and 25th
TDOT Region 2 Auditorium
7512 Volkswagen Drive (I-75 Exit 9)
June 24th from 9:30 - 4:30 ET
June 25th from 9:30 - 12:30 ET
The Office of Local Programs Development offers a Construction Engineering and Inspection (CEI) Training Course, which is required for all local governments and CEIs to take every five years.
The course has two levels of certification:
- The first level (One-Day Training Class) addresses the needs of local government officials and administrators concerned with managing program funding and overseeing the construction phase. This class teaches participants what to expect of a hired CEI. Only local governments are allowed to attend this class.
- The second level (Two-Day Training Class) focuses on those local governments that wish to perform their own CEI and consultants who wish to be hired to perform the CEI for local governments. The primary goal of the second level training is to ensure that CEIs fully understand the extent of their responsibilities. This class will walks through the forms, procedures, and potential issues during the construction phase.
2019 CEI Training Classes:
Knoxville Class - June 11th, 12th, and 13th
TDOT Region 1 Auditorium
7345 Region Lane
Local Government Officials & Administrators (1 day class)
June 11th from 10:00 – 2:30 ET
CEI Professionals (2 day class)
June 12th from 9:00 – 4:00 ET
June 13th from 8:30 – 12:00 ET
How to Register
Space is limited. To Register Contact:
Consultant costs for the two-day course are $125 per attendee (certificates will be provided for 10 professional development hours for the two-day course). There is no charge for government personnel. Payment is requested in advanced via company check payable to: Tennessee Department of Transportation
Mail payment to:
c/o Teresa Berry
2995 Sidco Drive
Nashville, TN 37204
If you are on the list attached below, you are currently Level 1 certified (eligible to manage a CEI):
If you are on the list attached below, you are currently Level 2 certified (eligible to conduct CEI services on locally managed projects):
- Local Government Guidelines Presentation - Regions 1 & 4, February 2019 Class
- Local Government Guidelines Class Supplemental Packet for 2019
- 2018 Right-of-Way Acquisition and Utility Relocation Presentation
- 2019 CEI Training Class PowerPoint
- 2019 Supplemental Materials for CEI Classes
Additional Training Opportunities
Frequently Asked Questions