Filing a Complaint

Filing a complaint against a Tennessee Health Care Facility or Provider

The state of Tennessee is graced with some of the finest health care professionals, educational institutions, postgraduate programs and health care treatment facilities in the United States. When a problem is experienced with a health care facility, you have the right to report them. If you believe the facility’s behavior or care is not acceptable, you may file a complaint.

While we hope that you will never have to file a complaint against a health care facility, doing so is a simple matter. The steps have been outlined below:

  • How to File a Complaint Against a Licensed/Certified Health Care Facility
    • OR
  • How to File a Complaint Against an Unlicensed Long Term Health Care Facility

Filing a Complaint against a Licensed and/or Certified Health Facility

When a problem is experienced with a specific licensed and/or certified facility, you should file your complaint with the Health Facilities Commission. You have two options for filing your complaint:

Complaint Intake Unit. You may phone your complaint to one of our medically trained staff by contacting Health Facilities Commission, Complaint Intake Unit. The call will be toll free and phones are answered Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Simply dial this toll-free number:


Mail your Complaint. You may contact the Health Facilities Commission at 1-877-287-0010 to request a complaint form or you may download a copy by clicking on the link below. Fill out the form as completely as possible and return it to us by mail at:

Health Facilities Commission
Complaint Intake Unit
665 Mainstream Drive, Second Floor
Nashville, TN 37243

ONLINE Complaint Form

Fillable Complaint Form to Print for Mail/Email - Click Here (2023 version)

For a complaint against an Unlicensed Long-Term Facility

To file a complaint against an Unlicensed Long-Term Care Facility please use this form.

Complaint Review Process

Upon receipt of the complaint, the Health Facilities Commission, Complaint Intake Unit staff will review the complaint and assign it a priority code according to the severity of the alleged violation. The complaint will be forwarded to the appropriate Regional Office for investigation. You will receive a letter from the Commission acknowledging your complaint. Regional Office investigators may contact you for additional information, if deemed necessary. All complaints received are taken seriously and a thorough and fair evaluation under the law is conducted.

When a decision is reached, you will receive a letter from the Regional Office. The specific content of such letters varies depending upon the circumstances of the complaint. However, they are generally one of the following types.

  1. Sufficient evidence did not exist to warrant the Commission to impose deficiency citations or penalties, but the facility has been investigated and has been informed of the concerns that lead to the complaint. The complainant’s name is confidential and not released to the facility.
  2. There was sufficient evidence to warrant the Commission to impose deficiencies and/or penalties.

Although the Commission may, upon request, be required by law to release basic information about a specific complaint, the name of the complainant, if known, is always kept confidential.

The Health Facilities Commission only certifies nurse aides. To file a complaint on a licensed healthcare professional, please file a complaint with the Department of Health, Health Related Boards, a link to which can be found here: 

Click here to File a Complaint Against an Individual Health Care Professional


If you suspect abuse or neglect of a vulnerable adult, who is not residing in an HFC licensed facility please contact: 

TNAPS - Adult Protective Service

For concerns about resident rights in licensed healthcare facilities, please contact:

Long-Term Care Ombudsman (
State Long-Term Care Ombudsman
Tennessee Commission on Aging and Disability
502 Deaderick Street, 9th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243-0860
Tel: 615-253-5412
Fax: 615-741-3309
Toll Free: 877-236-0013
TDD: 615-532-3893