Landfill Operators Certification Training
A certified Landfill Operator must be present at a municipal solid waste landfill during all hours of operation. A person interested in obtaining a Landfill Operator certification must take training provided by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) and pass an examination conducted by TDEC. The details regarding the training and certification requirements can be found in TN Rule 0400-11-01-.12. The following is additional information regarding the certification program:
· TDEC's landfill operators’ certification training program (LOCT) consists of three (3) days of classroom instruction (including a field exercise) and a final exam on the fourth day. Those landfill operators taking the exam must achieve at least a score of 70 (out of 100 points) to be certified. Topics that are covered during the three (3) days include: Tennessee Solid Waste Management Regulations, Landfill Math, Landfill Plans, Landfill Operations, Surveying, Waste Acceptance/Random Inspections, Groundwater Monitoring, Landfill Gas Management, Erosion Control, Liners & Leachate Collection, Closure & Post Closure, and Compliance Inspections & Recordkeeping.
· The certification for Landfill Operators is valid for three years. To be recertified, a Landfill Operator must obtain 24 hours of TDEC approved training during this three-year period.
· There is reciprocity for those Landfill Operators holding SWANA certification.
· Per Rule 0400-11-01-.12(1)(c)8; TDEC will honor other State’s certification programs and similar 3rd party private certifications upon being shown evidence that the course content meets or exceeds Tennessee LOCT criteria.
If you would like to receive updates via email or need to update contact information please contact Rebekah Poston at Rebekah.Poston@tn.gov for any questions.
These reports are up to date as of 09/29/2022. Certification hours will only be counted if fees are paid in full. For external hours please submit documentation to Rebekah Poston at Rebekah.Poston@tn.gov.
Continued Training Opportunities for Landfill Operators
Landfill operator certification is valid for 3 years from the date of issuance. During those 3 years, certified operators must attend 24 hours of Department approved training, or they must retake the 3 -day certification training. TDEC recognizes the following training opportunities for a Certified Landfill Operator to obtain the 24 hours required for recertification:
· One of the days of instruction in the 30-hour course scheduled.
· The 8-hour Landfill Operators Continuing Education class for certified landfill operators, the 8-hour Class 1 Landfill class, or the 8-hour Class 3 Landfill class conducted by the Division of Solid Waste Management. Each course is $199 per person. Once complete you will receive an invoice for payment. When the payment is verified your LOCT Course Completion will be updated.
· Tennessee Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Training and Certification and Re-Certification Program (includes Level I certification and Level II certification training classes). Training course information can be obtained from the following website: www.tnepsc.org. Submit your training certificate to Jerry Branham or Rebekah Poston to receive credit.
· The State Uniform Inspection Training Program for 8-hours of training while learning basic skills to help with landfill inspections and the associated regulations, including an explanation of regulatory requirements and what would constitute a violation of the regulations.
· Any course providing a certificate or completion report from SWANA, TWSDA, CTAS, or TRC other relevant training from 3rd parties or environmental conferences may be submitted for consideration.
Online Class Modules
Once both module parts are completed you will receive an invoice for payment. When the payment is verified your LOCT Course Completion will be updated. Each class is $199 per person.
Landfill Operators Continuing Education Class
Class 1 Landfill Class
Class 3 Landfill Class
When you have completed all 24 hours of training required prior to certification expiration, DSWM will send you an invoice for your recertification fee and prompt you to submit the required paperwork. If you had a valid certificate on March 13, 2021, when the Covid-19 crisis began will we honor your certificate and work with you to obtain training for recertification. Any certificate that expired prior to that date will require the recipient to re-take the initial 30-hour LOCT course.
Recertification packets must include the form, a copy of a valid photo ID, and a copy of your invoice with a check or money order or receipt from an online payment by credit card. If you did not receive an invoice, contact Rebekah Poston at Rebekah.Poston@tn.gov or call 615-552-8002. Completed recertification packets must be mailed:
Attn: Rebekah Poston
TDEC Division of Solid Waste Management
WRS Tennessee Tower
312 Rosa L Parks Ave, 14th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243
TDEC is now able to accept online payments for renewing LOCT certification! Note: Payment does not ensure recertification. Landfill operators must still reapply for recertification and complete all 24 hours of required training prior to certification expiration.
This Page Last Updated: October 11, 2022 at 1:16 PM