Active Drycleaners

Tennessee’s Law and Rules say all drycleaning operations must register with DCERP. Tennessee defines drycleaning as any cleaning of clothes or household fabrics that use one or more drycleaning solvents. The only drycleaners that are not required to register are coin-operated drycleaners, drycleaners owned or on a military base, commercial uniform services or linen supply facilities, and facilities owned by the state.

Type of Solvent Examples*
Light Solvent DF2000
Green Earth
Solvon K4
Dense Solvent Perchloroethylene (Perc, PCE, etc)
DrySolv (n-Propyl Bromide)

*Not all solvents are listed. Contact DCERP if you have questions.

Register to Operate a Drycleaner in Tennessee

  • You must register to operate a drycleaner  in Tennessee no matter what type of drycleaning solvent you use.

We separate solvent into two types: light and dense. Light solvents have a specific gravity of less than 1. Light solvents float on water the same way oil floats on water. Dense solvents have a specific gravity of more than 1. Dense solvents sink in water just like a rock would. If you are unsure about your solvent, please contact us.

You must also follow DCERP’s Best Management Practices. Best Management Practices (or BMPs) are rules to make sure solvent and waste is handled safely. Not following BMPs can mean you lose your ability to legally operate a TN drycleaner.

Drycleaners must submit their form (CN-1063) and fees to DCERP by October 31st of every year. This form must be the original form and mailed to our office. We cannot accept forms by email. Upon receipt of a registration form and appropriate fee, we will review the form and let you know if there is anything missing. After verifying your information and payment has been made, we will issue a Certificate of Registration. Your certificate is only valid for the address printed on the certificate. For information on the current fees and forms you are required to submit, please visit the Current Fees and Forms page. You can always contact us for more information or ask questions about your specific situation.

It is illegal for drycleaning facilities or solvent suppliers to sell or transfer drycleaning solvent to an unregistered drycleaning facility. The list of currently registered drycleaning facilities is available, but it is up to you and the solvent supplier to verify registration with DCERP. All drycleaners should have a current registration certificate posted at the facility.

Drycleaners may also be required to have a General Air Permit from the Division of Air Pollution Control. This is a separate permit and is not handled by DCERP. You can learn more about this permit on the Air Pollution Control website or you can contact Air Pollution Control at or 615-532-0554. Tell them you are a drycleaner and have questions about a General Air Permit. 

Drycleaners have access to the Tennessee Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (SBEAP). SBEAP provides assistance to help Tennessee small businesses understand and comply with environmental regulations. Your discussions with the SBEAP are confidential. You can contact them at 1-800-734-3619 or

For more information contact:
DCERP Administrator
If you are requesting drycleaner files please submit a Request for Information