Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Minors Resources
In recognition of Slavery and Human Trafficking Awareness Month, the Department of Children's Services is offering resources and training throughout the month of January. This is an attempt to educate and inform staff and community partners regarding the threat of Human Trafficking in the state of Tennessee and beyond.
• Human trafficking is the second fastest growing criminal industry behind drug trafficking.
• A child is bought and sold for sex in the US every two seconds.
• In the year 2019 alone, there were 190 confirmed cases of Human Trafficking in the state of Tennessee. 131 of these were related to sex trafficking.
• The average age of a child sold for sex is 13.
Learn more about Human Trafficking Prevention
Attend upcoming trainings
The resources below have been gathered from multiple organizations for the benefit of the public. Content does not belong to the Tennessee Department of Children’s Services or the State of Tennessee unless explicitly stated. All links direct to their original source.
- Webinar: An Overview of Child Sex Trafficking
- National Human Trafficking Hotline
- Human Trafficking in Tennessee
- Human Trafficking of Children Indicator Tool (from State of Florida)
- Tennessee Bureau of Investigatoin: Human Trafficking
- Tennessee Anti-Slavery Alliance
- Video: Taxi
- Video: Look Beneath the Surface to End Trafficking
- Child Sex Trafficking in America: A Guide for Child Welfare Professionals
- Child Welfare Information Gateway: Human Trafficking and Child Welfare: A Guide for Caseworkers