Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Administration (TOSHA)
TOSHA is committed to helping improve workplace safety and health. Responsibilities include outreach, consultation, and enforcement.
Call TOSHA at 615-741-2793 or 844-224-5818 (Option 3, then 2)
About the Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Administration (TOSHA)
The Department of Labor and Workforce Development's Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Administration (TOSHA) has as its mission to assure the safety and health of Tennessee’s workers by
- setting and enforcing standards;
- providing training, outreach, and education;
- establishing partnerships; and
- encouraging continuous improvement in workplace safety and health.
TOSHA activity includes the following:
- The Consultative Services Program offers free consulting to smaller employers who seek safe and healthy working conditions for their employees. Services offered include technical advice and assistance, hazard abatement recommendations, and employee training.
- The Compliance Unit is responsible for enforcement of the Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1972 (Title 5, Chapter 3) with emphasis on employee exposures to chemical and physical hazards. Onsite monitoring and inspections are conducted to identify safety and health hazards and assure hazards are controlled or eliminated.
- The TOSHA Training and Education section, through a variety of programs, assists employers, employees, and their representatives in reducing safety hazards and health hazards in their workplaces and in complying with the requirements of TOSHA standards and regulations. A series of seminars is held statewide in the spring and fall covering a variety of safety and health issues.
- The Public Sector Operations perform inspections in the public sector. Public sector employers who participate in the public sector program are inspected by Tennessee OSHA every two years. Participants in the program must designate a safety and health director and establish a safety and health program.
- The Safety Awards and Recognition Programs recognize companies' efforts toward accident prevention and safety promotion.
This Page Last Updated: April 19, 2022 at 10:15 AM