Veterans Upward Bound
Veterans Upward Bound is designed to motivate and assist veterans in the development of academic and other requisite skills necessary for acceptance and success in a program of postsecondary education. The program provides assessment and enhancement of basic skills through counseling, mentoring, tutoring and academic instruction in the core subject areas. The primary goal of the program is to increase the rate at which participants enroll in and complete postsecondary education programs.
All Veterans Upward Bound projects must provide instruction in mathematics through pre-calculus, laboratory science, foreign language, composition and literature. Projects may also provide short-term remedial or refresher courses for veterans who are high school graduates but have delayed pursuing postsecondary education. Projects are also expected to assist veterans in securing support services from other locally available resources such as the Veterans Administration, state veterans agencies, veteran associations, and other state and local agencies that serve veterans.
Other services include:
- Education or counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of participants
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school
- Academic, financial, or personal counseling
- Tutorial services
- Mentoring programs
- Information on postsecondary education opportunities
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Information on the full range of Federal Student financial aid programs and benefits
- Guidance and assistance in alternative education programs for secondary school dropouts that lead to receipt of a regular secondary school diploma, entry into general education development (GED) programs or postsecondary education
Ellington Building, Rm 325
Serving Ft. Campbell, KY and Tennessee counties including:
- Houston County
- Montgomery County
- Robertson County
- Stewart County
Sharita Goodrich, Director
Shirley Conner, Academic Coordinator/Instructor
Celesta J. Galloway, Administrative Assistant
Steve Conklin, Academic Coordinator/Instructor
Johnson City, TN 37614-0714
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Dr. Ronnie Gross, Executive Director
Gregory Stout, Associate Director
Carl Cole, Academic Advisor
Seth Proffitt, Academic Advisor
Donna Quillin, Academic Advisor
Beverly Barberi, Academic Advisor
Dale Clements, Academic Advisor
Joan Hathaway, Information Research Technician
Teresa Carver, Executive Aide TRiO Programs
The Veterans Upward Bound Pre-College Program is located in the sub-basement of the Health Physical Education Recreation (HPER) Building, Room 29.
Please park in front of the double glass doors in the lot located off of Pat Head Summitt Street.
(do not park in handicap space)
To obtain a parking pass:
Call (865) 974-2132 and we will bring one to you.
You may also turn on your emergency flashers and proceed down the sidewalk between the track and the building to the first double red-brown doors. Enter the building and either take the elevator down to the sub basement (SB) or take the stairs all the way down. Proceed through the fire door, straight down the hallway all the way to the other end of the building Room 29
The Veterans Upward Bound UTK serves military Veterans in the following Tennessee counties: Blount, Campbell, Cocke, Grainger, Hamblen, Jefferson, Knox, Loudon, Monroe, Roane, Sevier, Morgan, Scott, and Union.
Project Director: Tammi Basile
Phone: (865) 974-4466
Educational Specialist: John Dever
Phone: (865) 974-4466