Eligibility for Interment
Prior Active Duty Veterans
Any person who served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard) who was discharged or released there from before September 7, 1980, under conditions other than dishonorable.
Any member of the Armed Forces of the United States who died while on active duty. Any person who served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States who entered active duty as an enlisted person after September 7, 1980, and officers commissioned who entered active duty after October 17, 1981, and whose discharge or separation from active military service was under "other than dishonorable'" conditions. A person whose first tour of duty began on or after the dates listed above is eligible if he or she completed a continuous period of active duty of at least 24 months or the full period for which called or ordered to active duty, whichever is shorter or was released because of a hardship discharge, or has a compensable service-connected disability or was released because of a service-connected disability.
Verification Information Required: Full name of veteran. Date of birth, service and social security numbers. Service Dates: entry and discharge from active duty. (This information can be found in veteran’s discharge papers or DD Form 214.)
Reserve & National Guard Members
- Reserve & National Guard members who are in receipt of compensation or pension from the VA are eligible for burial.
- Reserve & National Guard members who completed twenty or more years of reserve or guard service and are entitled to retirement pay.
- Reserve & National Guard members are also eligible for burial under the following five (5) categories.
- Dies under honorable conditions while undergoing active duty for training.
- If called to active duty, completes the full period for which called up.
- Dies under honorable conditions while performing full-time Active Guard Reserve (AGR) service.
- Completed at least 24 months of active service.
- Discharged due to service-connected disability while on active duty.