Skip to Main Content

Find COVID-19 Information and Resources


In 1968, Congress created the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to help provide a means for property owners to financially protect themselves. The NFIP offers flood insurance to homeowners, renters, and business owners if their community participates in the NFIP. Participating communities agree to adopt and enforce ordinances that meet or exceed FEMA requirements to reduce the risk of flooding.

Obtaining Flood Insurance: 1-888-379-9531

If you live in a community that participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), you are eligible to purchase flood insurance.  To buy a flood insurance policy, call your insurance agent, or call the number above to find an agent in your community.

Residential Coverage

Flood insurance is available to homeowners, renters, condo owners/renters, and commercial owners/renters.  This page has information on flood policies, determination of policy rates, knowing what’s covered and questions for your insurance agent.

Commercial Coverage

Flood insurance is available to commercial owners and renters.  Coverage is available for the building and contents.  There is a 30-day waiting period from the date of purchase before the policy goes into effect.

Policyholder Resources

This website examines flood insurance deductibles for the structure and contents.  This page has steps for filing a claim, map changes affecting a policy, renewing a policy and insurance legislation updates.

Emergency Preparation

This page offers preparedness resources for your family and pets, creating a disaster supply kit and evacuation tips before a storm hits.

Agent Locator

This page allows individuals to enter their zip code to locate an agent.


A website that is dedicated to flood insurance resources for consumers.

Biggert Waters 2012 Flood Insurance Rate Act

The Biggert Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012 is a law passed by Congress and signed by the President in 2012 that extends the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) for five years, while requiring significant program reform.

Homeowners Flood Insurance Availability Act

The Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2014 repeals and modifies certain provisions of the Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act and makes additional program changes to other aspects of the National Flood Insurance Program.