Failure to Establish Financial Responsibility Following an Accident (T.C.A. 55-12-105) or Final Judgment on an Accident (T.C.A. 55-12-118) - Restricted Authority (T.C.A. 55-12-132)

Tennessee Law allows for the issuance of a restricted driver license to operate only an employer’s company owned vehicle while on company business upon furnishing proof of SR-22 insurance covering the employee.

To Apply for a Restricted Driver License

  • Obtain a letter from employer on company letterhead requesting individual be approved restricted license and that individual will be driving company vehicles on the job.
  • Obtain a SR-22 form from the employer's insurance company filed in the name of employer and on behalf of the person (employee) applying
    for the restricted license.
  • Obtain a required reinstatement fee of $115 if revocation is for an accident claim or $150 if revocation is for an unsatisfied judgment on accident and a $75 failure to surrender Driver License fee, if applicable.
  • Obtain a release of claims for damages/personal injury from party who filed claim or obtained judgment; or an affidavit of non-suit depending on which applies.
  • Submit the items listed above at a Driver Services Reinstatement Center or by mail to P.O. Box 945 Nashville, TN 37202.
  • Once you receive an approval letter, you must present it at a Driver Services Center along with $65 license fee and $2 application fee.