General Application Procedures
Step 1. Apply Online. Go to https://www.vets.gov.
Step 2. After you apply online, the DVA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) in the mail. Take the CoE to the DVA representative/School Certifying Official (SCO) at the educational institution you are attending, or your place of employment and submit it to the DVA Regional Processing Office (RPO) for processing.
Step 3. Verify Your Attendance. Students receiving Chapter 1606 or Chapter 30 (CH 33 will be included beginning 1 AUG 2021) must verify their attendance monthly by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by using the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. When students are awarded benefits, the award letter they receive describes WAVE and IVR.
- The preferred verification method is WAVE, which includes features not found in IVR. WAVE allows students to verify their enrollment on the Internet.
- The WAVE system permits students to perform a multitude of functions.
- Verify that enrollment has not changed
- Report a change in enrollment
- Change mailing address
- Initiate or change direct deposit information
- View the enrollment period and monthly benefit amount
- View the remaining entitlement
- Sign up for a monthly email reminder
- IVR allows students to "call-in" their monthly verification if there are no changes to the enrollment during the previous month. If there were changes in enrollment, the student must notify their DVA Rep/SCO and payments may be delayed while changes are processed. The phone number to use the IVR call-in feature is 1-877-823-2378.
- Important! If you are asked for a copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), you will find a copy in your iPERMS record. If a copy of your NOBE is not located in your iPERMS record, contact your State GI Bill Manager or Education Services Officer (ESO).
Note: Non-Prior Service applicants enlisting under the OCS and ROTC enlistment option will not be entitled to receive the benefit until the day after the completion of BOLC. Officers/Officer Candidates should contact their State GI Bill Manager to verify their eligibility.
Apply online: https://www.va.gov
Contact your education team with any questions:
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.