GI Bill-Selected Reserve Chapter 1606
Important Message: Effective 4 May 2021, the TA/MGIB-SR restriction has been removed! This means that Reserve Component Service Members enrolled in a half-time or more program of study may now receive their FTA and CH 1606 MGIB-SR benefits simultaneously for the same course!
The MGIB-SR is a benefit administered by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (DVA) that provides basic educational assistance for traditional/M-day Soldiers actively serving in the Selected Reserve.
- Sign a six-year enlistment contract or Officer Service Agreement (OSA) to serve in the National Guard
- Have a High School diploma or equivalent.
- Complete Initial Active Duty Training (IADT) or Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC).
- Be actively serving in the NG (cannot be in the Inactive National Guard-ING or Individual Ready Reserve-IRR).
- Not be AGR or on Active Duty.
- Not be flagged for unsatisfactory participation.
- Not be using or have ever received a Dedicated Army National Guard ROTC Scholarship (Ref: Title 10 USC 2107).
- $397 per month for full-time enrollment (Effective 1 October 2020).
- Payment made directly to the Soldier each month from the DVA.
- In most cases, your eligibility begins immediately after you have completed IADT/BOLC.
- CAN be combined with State Tuition Assistance (TN STRONG Act) and Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) .
- Your eligibility for the program normally ends the day you leave the Selected Reserve.
- You are only eligible for a lifetime maximum of 36 months of any one GI Bill, but a lifetime maximum of 48 months by combining more than one GI Bill (i.e. if you exhaust all 36 months using MGIB-SR Ch 1606, you can only gain an additional 12 months of another GI Bill you are eligible for or may become eligible for the in the future).
- Being assigned to the ING or IRR for a period of longer than 12 months (for personal reasons or 36 months for missionary purposes) or entering ING or IRR status for a second time, will terminate your MGIB-SR indefinitely.
- Did you enlist with a GI Bill Kicker? You will receive your GI Bill Kicker payment with your MGIB-SR Ch1606 payment monthly.
Apply online: www.vets.gov
Verify your enrollment: www.gibill.va.gov/wave
Contact your education team with any questions:
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.