The Tennessee State Guard is headquartered in Nashville and consists of approximately 500 volunteers, It is authorized by Tennessee Code Annotated 58-1-401 which authorizes the governor to enlist, organize, maintain, equip and discipline a volunteer defense force, other than the national guard whenever the president of the U.S. calls any part of the Tennessee National Guard into active federal service.
The purpose of the Tennessee State Guard is to provide a professional complement of personnel to support the State mission of the Tennessee National Guard, by assisting the Tennessee Army National Guard as a force multiplier, and at the direction of the Adjutant General, to assist civil authorities with disaster relief, humanitarian causes, ceremonial service, religious and medical support for the well being and safety of the citizenry of Tennessee.
Requirements to join:
- Applicants must be residents from Tennessee or from the 8 border states: *Kentucky *Virginia *North Carolina *Mississippi *Alabama *Georgia *Arkansas *Missouri
- Must be between age 18 and 67
- Must have high school diploma or GED
- Background check required
- Prior military service preferred, but not required*.
- Education requirements for commission
Currently the TNSG is looking for prior-service personnel who received an honorable discharge from any branch of U.S. military. * Civilians will be considered also
- Drills are held 1 day a month
- Annual Training 3 days a year
- TO&E slots available for special-needs veterans
- No enlistment contracts
State Guard Recruiters:
Headquarters, Headquarters Company: Nashville
1st Regiment: Millington
3rd Regiment: Greeneville
4th Regiment: Chattanooga
State Guard Public Affairs:
State Guard Links:
TNSG Academy - Courses for State Guard Members