Skip to Main Content

Tennessee Looking to Grow Program Families Depend on for Meals

Efforts are underway to expand the reach of the Child and Adult Care Food Program.
Friday, June 29, 2018 | 05:05pm

NASHVILLE – The Tennessee Department of Human Services (TDHS) is encouraging more organizations to become a sponsor of the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) next year.

The CACFP is a federally funded program that provides needed meals to children and adults who meet age and income requirements.  TDHS administers the program in partnership with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to reimburse sponsoring organizations for meals.

Last fiscal year sponsors served more than 39 million meals across Tennessee.

Potential CACFP sponsors include:

·         Licensed child care centers.

·         Head Start programs.

·         Emergency shelters providing residential and food services to homeless children.

·         Family child care homes.

·         After-school programs.

·         Adult day care centers.

TDHS is now accepting applications for organizations that want to take part in the CACFP next year and will continue to accept them until August 1, 2018. All applications must be approved prior to September 30, 2018.

“The dedication of our sponsors is truly what makes the Child and Adult Care Food Program work,” said TDHS Commissioner Danielle W. Barnes. “This program directly reaches those who need it most by providing regular access to nutritious foods that fuel the thriving Tennessee we want to build.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control, healthy eating can help maintain healthy body weight and reduce the risk of developing health conditions. For children, healthy eating has been associated with improved cognitive function and reduced absenteeism.

To learn more about the CACFP visit

Agencies who may be interested in CACFP are encouraged to attend training sessions hosted by the Department of Human Services. For more information email or call (615) 313-4749.

A list of current CACFP providers is available at:

Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 6907442; or (3) email: This institution is an equal opportunity provider. 

Learn more about the Tennessee Department of Human Services at