Tennessee Department of Human Services Completes Processing of Shelby County SNAP Replacement Benefits

Friday, June 02, 2017 | 05:03pm

NASHVILLE – The Tennessee Department of Human Services (TDHS) has completed processing approvals of replacement Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps) benefits for remaining Shelby County SNAP recipients. All remaining Shelby County SNAP recipients impacted by power outages should receive a deposit to their accounts to assist with their food needs by Saturday, June 3.

TDHS staff will still be available in the North and Welles Branch Offices on Saturday, June 3 from 8:00AM to 12:00PM to answer any questions or concerns of SNAP recipients impacted by power outages who have not received the SNAP replacement benefit by Saturday mid-morning. TDHS encourages SNAP recipients to check their existing EBT card balances prior to contacting the department.

All other TDHS customers will be seen during regular business hours, Monday through Friday.

“We appreciate the hard work of the TDHS team in Shelby County and across the state, who have gone above and beyond to be responsive and accommodating to the needs of their neighbors,” said TDHS Commissioner Danielle W. Barnes. “They’ve truly embodied the TDHS mission of improving the lives of Tennesseans through the work we do every day.”

Shelby County residents enrolled in SNAP in May who lost power for 12 hours or more are eligible for replacement benefits. Shelby County residents who are not enrolled in the SNAP program are not eligible to receive SNAP replacement benefits due to loss of power.

To be eligible for the replacement benefits, the household must: 

  • Have received SNAP benefits in May;
  • Have been without power for 12 hours; or
  • Have experienced other household misfortunes that have caused the loss of food.

Office locations open Saturday, June 3:

North Branch Office
3230 Jackson Avenue
Memphis, TN 38122

Welles Branch Office
3360 South Third Street
Memphis, TN 38109

Shelby County residents that do not currently receive SNAP benefits can apply online at https://faonlineapp.dhs.tn.gov/, or in person at the office locations listed above.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1)  mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture  Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: program.intake@usda.gov. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.