Disaster Food Assistance Available to Sevier County Wildfire Victims

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 | 02:21pm

Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Benefits for Eligible Residents Begins December 22

NASHVILLE – The Tennessee Department of Human Services (TDHS) in partnership with the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Services will begin accepting applications on Thursday, December 22 for Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) benefits available to eligible residents or those who work in  Sevier County that have been impacted by the recent wildfires. 

D-SNAP provides temporary food assistance benefits loaded onto an EBT (electronic benefit transfer) card. Applicants do not have to be current or former recipients of SNAP, but current SNAP recipients may be eligible for additional food assistance. Eligibility will be determined and benefits will be distributed the same day. The benefits will represent up to a one-month allotment of benefits for the appropriate household size, and can be used for up to 90 days at any authorized SNAP retailer.

Update: Additionally, Sevier County SNAP participants that have been impacted by the recent wildfires can purchase hot foods and hot food products prepared for immediate consumption at authorized SNAP retailers in Blount, Cocke and Sevier Counties until January 18, 2017.

D-SNAP applications will be accepted from Thursday, December 22 to Friday, December 23, 2016 and again on Wednesday, December 28; Thursday, December 29 and Friday, December 30.

To be eligible for the Disaster SNAP Program, the household must: 

  • Reside and/or work in Sevier County, which has been designated as a federal disaster area;
  • Have unreimbursed expenses because of wildfire and sustained property damage or personal property loss in Sevier County;
  • Meet income requirements for D-SNAP

Applicants should bring any available information that indicates their identity, residence and income. DHS employees can provide further guidance if there is difficulty locating documentation. Applications for D-SNAP are NOT available or accepted on the DHS website.

Application sites:

Sevier County Department of Human Services
815 Dolly Parton Parkway
Sevierville, TN 37862
Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Sevier County Health Department
719 Middle Creek Road
Sevierville, TN 37862
Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

Special note to current SNAP recipients: You may be eligible for a replacement and/or supplement.

Replacement benefits may be available to SNAP households when they experience a household misfortune that causes them to lose food purchased with their benefits.

Current SNAP recipients may also be eligible for a supplement to increase their current benefit to the maximum monthly allotment for the household size. Please contact or visit the Sevier County DHS office to inquire about eligibility for a replacement or supplement of your SNAP benefits.


You must tell the truth when you apply for D-SNAP benefits, replacements, and supplements.
You may not sell, trade, or give away your EBT card.
You may NOT receive Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance twice for the same disaster.
All applications are subject to review.
If you get benefits to which you are not entitled, you WILL be required to pay them back.
If you break the SNAP rules you may be disqualified from the program, fined up to $250,000, and/or put in jail for up to 20 years.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1)  mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture  Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: program.intake@usda.gov. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


Contact: Devin Stone (615)313-5786