- Memorandum: Newborn Screening Fee Increase, effective 1/1/2020.
- 2020 Updated Reportable Diseases, Reporting Guidance and Reporting Form now available.
- Memorandum: LRN Laboratory at Knoxville Regional Laboratory now accepting Select Agent Rule-Out Refer specimens from Sentinel Laboratories located in East Tennessee. 10/22/2019
- Memorandum: Changes to Chlamydia trachomatis/Neisseria gonorrhea collection kits effective 8/1/2019..
- Memorandum: VDRL Testing discontinued effective 6/30/2019.
- The Newborn Screening Laboratory now performs testing seven days per week.
- Samples may be collected and shipped for weekend testing.
- Department hours:
- Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday - Sunday: 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Clinical Submission Form (PH-4182) Revised 11/18
- Select Agent Rule Out Submission Form (PH-4263) for Sentinel Microbiology Laboratories use. Notification Required PRIOR to Sample Submission.
- Rabies Submission Form - (PH-4177) Restricted to: Public Health Departments, Veterinary Clinics, and those who have received prior authorization for testing from Epidemiology.
- Influenza and Viral Respiratory Panel Submission Form (PH-4149)Restricted to: Sentinel Provider Network (SPN), EIP Influenza Hospitals, and the Office of the Medical Examiner.
- Laboratory Supplies Requisition - Nashville Central Laboratory (PH-1580A)
- Laboratory Supplies Requisition - Knoxville Regional Laboratory (PH-1580C)
About Laboratory Services
The Mission of Laboratory Services is to provide high quality analytical services of medical and environmental testing and to achieve the Mission of the Department of Health.
The Tennessee Department of Health (TDH) Laboratory Services consists of the Microbiology Laboratories and Environmental Laboratories in Nashville and Knoxville. The central laboratory is housed in Nashville in a dedicated facility with state of the art equipment. The laboratory consists of 125 full time employees.
The Microbiology Laboratories are licensed by the State of Tennessee Laboratory Licensing Service (LLS) and certified by the Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CLIA Laboratory Certificate of Compliance) to perform clinical testing. The laboratories perform a wide range of microbiological testing in the areas of Bacteriology, Molecular Biology, Environmental Microbiology, Mycobacteriology, Parasitology, Mycology, Immunoserology, Virology, and Newborn Screening. Laboratory Services is also the State Emergency Preparedness Laboratory for biological agents.
The Environmental Laboratories in Nashville and Knoxville are certified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under the Safe Drinking Water Act. Each laboratory follows guidelines, regulations, and methodology as prescribed by the EPA, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), and other federal or state programs. The Environmental Laboratory consists of the Organic, Inorganic, Radiochemistry, Aquatic Biology, and Chemical Terrorism Laboratories. The Environmental Laboratories perform testing in support of other state departments such as the Department of Environment and Conservation, Department of Labor, and the Department of Transportation.
Lab Services Organizational Chart (April 2019)
Objectives of Laboratory Services
- To provide quality-assured microbiological and environmental chemistry laboratory services.
- To assist other Tennessee laboratories in developing and strengthening their laboratory services.
- To serve the entire state as a reference laboratory for difficult, unusual or otherwise unavailable laboratory procedures.
- To serve as a resource of information on laboratory practice.
- To test human and related specimens and environmental samples.
- To assist in the development, evaluation, and standardization of medical and environmental laboratory testing procedures.
- To participate in special studies and research projects.
- To provide refresher training and information updates.
630 Hart Lane
Nashville, Tennessee 37243
Phone: (615) 262-6300
Fax: (615) 262-6393
Knoxville Regional Laboratory
2102 Medical Center Way
Knoxville, TN 37950
Phone: (865) 549-5201
Fax: (865) 594-5199