Adoptions Before 1951
This information applies to adoptions completed, or attempted, prior to March 16, 1951 and all records for the Tennessee Children’s Home Society.
Records in this category will be made available to:
- An adopted person age 21 years or older.
- The adopted person’s birth, adoptive, step- or legal parents who are 21 years of age or older.
- The adopted person’s birth or adoptive siblings who are 21 years of age or older.
- The adopted person’s lineal descendants who are 21 years of age or older.
- The legal representatives of any person listed above.
- Lineal ancestors age 21 and older
The records can include:
- Sealed adoption records
- Post-adoption records
- Court records
- Adoption agency records
- Records from the Department of Health, Offices of Vital Records
Searching for birth relatives
The department does not conduct searches for birth relatives in adoptions that took place prior to 1951.
Contact Veto and Advance Notice Registry
If you have other questions, feel free to Contact Us.