Become a Licensed Provider
The Office of Licensure takes pride in having the best providers. We are here to assist you in becoming a licensed provider of Mental Health and/or Substance Abuse Services in Tennessee.
What is the Process to Become Licensed?
1. Familiarize yourself with the services and facilities we license.
2. Complete and submit the following forms to Regional Office of Licensure nearest the location to be licensed.
2. Fact Sheet
3. Submit licensing fee (See the Fee Schedule for information on costs of licensing a facility/service or ask your regional office.) You will be sent an invoice once the above forms have been received by the Office of Licensure.
4. If you are opening a residential facility or a facility where clients come to your place of business, an inspection by a State Fire Marshal, county or city fire marshal, or a private certified codes inspector is required. Need clarification? Contact the regional office near you. (Personal Support Services Agencies (PSSAs), D.U.I. Schools, and Non-Residential Office-Based Opiate Treatment offices (OBOTs) currently do not require a life safety/fire inspection.)
5. When all paperwork is received, licensing fee has been paid, and life safety inspection has been conducted, if applicable, you will be contacted by the Office of Licensure regarding a date for an on-site inspection by a Licensure surveyor. (Initial inspections for Personal Support Services Agencies (PSSAs), D.U.I. Schools, and Non-Residential Office-Based Opiate Treatment offices (OBOTs) are conducted via an electronic desk audit.)
What does an Initial Inspection cover? Generally (with a few exceptions), life safety and environment/ancillary services are inspected as well as certain policies and procedures. A Regional Manager can provide an in-depth explanation of the next steps.
6. Once the inspection is conducted and deficiencies, if any, are corrected, an Initial License will be issued for up to 1 year.
* Note: Certain types of licenses have additional requirements. A Regional Manager can assist with these.
East Tennessee Regional Office
520 West Summit Hill Drive
Knoxville, TN 37902
Telephone #: 865-594-6551
Fax #: 844-340-4482
Middle Tennessee Regional Office
500 Deaderick Street
5th Floor, Andrew Jackson Bldg.
Nashville, TN 37243
Telephone #: 615-532-6590
Fax #: 615-532-7856
West Tennessee Regional Office
951 Court Avenue
Memphis, TN 38103
Telephone #: 901-543-7442
Fax #: 844-844-5538