Become a Licensed Provider
The Office of Licensure takes pride in having the best providers. We're here to assist you in becoming a licensed provider of Mental Health and/or Substance Abuse Services in Tennessee.
What is the Process to Become Licensed?
1. Familiarize yourself with the services and facilities we license.
2. Complete and submit the appropriate paperwork. Scroll down to find these forms in the Become a Licensed Provider: Paperwork box below. Each must be filled out for the initial application process. Regional office staff can assist you.
1. Initial Application 2. Financial Statement 3. Fact Sheet 4. Background Check
3. See the Fee Schedule for information on costs of licensing a facility/service or ask your regional office. (Office of Licensure will provide you with an invoice to pay these fees.)
4. If you are opening a residential facility, or a facility that has clients come to you, an inspection by a State Fire Marshal, county or city fire marshal, or a private certified fire inspector is required. Need clarification? Contact the regional office near you.
5. When all paperwork is received and licensing fees are paid, you will be contacted by a representative to schedule an initial inspection by a Regional Manager.
What does an Initial Inspection cover? Generally (with a few exceptions), the inspection covers life safety and environment/ancillary. A Regional Manager can provide an in-depth explanation of the next steps.
If you are opening a Personal Support Services Agency (PSSA) or a D.U.I. School, a fire inspection may not be necessary and an initial inspection by our office can be conducted electronically off-site.
6. Once everything is in order, an Initial License will be issued for up to 1 year.
** Note: Certain types of licenses have additional requirements. A Regional Manager can assist with these.