Information on the Closure of The Barber School in Memphis and Jackson
CLOSURE (UPDATED 4/3/2019):
The Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC) learned on April 1, 2019 that The Barber School in Memphis and Jackson, Tennessee closed. THEC is working to gain information on the closure and will update this webpage as information becomes available.
The Barber School at 77 Carriage House Drive in Jackson will be open to students to obtain any personal items and withdrawal completion forms from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, April 4.
The Barber School at 1309 Jackson Avenue in Memphis will be open to students to obtain any personal items and withdrawal completion forms from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday, April 3, and Friday, April 5.
If you have any questions, after reviewing this webpage, please contact the Tennessee Higher Education Commission’s Division of Postsecondary State Authorization (DPSA) at 615-741-5293.
DPSA encourages students to review this site from time-to-time for updated information.
THEC has requested that the institution immediately provide documentation of completed hours. Once the documents are received and available for distribution this webpage will be updated.
Additionally, the Department of Commerce and Insurance, Board of Cosmetology & Barber Examiners (https://www.tn.gov/commerce/regboards/cosmo.html) is seeking transfer/withdrawal documents from the institutions and these will be available once received.
TRANSFER OPPORTUNITIES (UPDATED 4/3/2019):
THEC has reached out to several institutions about transfer opportunities available to students. This webpage will be updated when additional information is available.
- VIBE Barber College, 623 Chelsea Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee – Contact Sharon Richardson at 901-578-3995. The institution has a Master Barber Program and Master Barber Instructor Program.
- Gould’s Academy, 8000 US Hwy 64, Memphis, Tennessee – Contact Garrett Gerlach or Paul Gould at (901) 767-6647. The Barbering Program is expected to begin late May or early June 2019.
- A state-wide list of barber institutions, some of which do not receive Federal Student Aid, is available here.
FEDERAL STUDENT LOANS AND PELL GRANTS:
If you have general questions about federal loans you should first try to contact your loan servicer.
- Information on loan forgiveness and refund discharge is available at: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation
- Information on Borrower Defense to Repayment is available at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/borrower-defense
Please visit https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/FGIB/Restoration.asp to learn more about your options. Some benefit eligibility may be restored depending on the details of the closing and your particular circumstances. To download the Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefit Entitlement Restoration Request Due to School Closure or Withdrawal, click here.
TUITION GUARANTY FUND:
The TGF was established by the Tennessee General Assembly to reimburse students at certain postsecondary educational institutions that close without earning the tuition collected. This is called unearned tuition.
- TGF applies only when the closing institution is authorized by THEC and (1) a student attended a physical location of the school in Tennessee or (2) a student is a Tennessee resident and attended a location of the institution outside of Tennessee.
- A claim for reimbursement of the unearned tuition must be made within two years of the date the institution discontinued operations.
- Unearned tuition includes tuition, registration, general graduation, activity, or other fees that are required to be paid by all students where the institution did not complete the educational obligation or reimburse students.
- Monies paid for tangible goods, such as books and equipment, are not reimbursable.
- Monies paid for program specific costs are not reimbursable by the TGF, e.g. certification fees charged separately to a student's account.
- Monies for expenses such as housing, meals, clothing and transportation, not paid directly to and retained by the institution are not reimbursable.
If you believe you fall into one of these two situations you can file a TGF claim by completing the Tennessee Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF) Claim Application and the related Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF) Information Release Authorization. Before filing a claim, please contact the Tennessee Higher Education Commission’s Division of Postsecondary State Authorization at 615-741-5293. Note that both documents must be completed before THEC will consider your claim. The length of time to review a claim will depend on the number of complaints received and the process could be lengthy. To download the forms, please visit the DPSA Links and Forms page and click on the DPSA Applications/Forms.
- College Pays - Information on financial aid and Tennessee-specific grants and scholarships.
- Launch My Career TN – Information on colleges and majors from institutions across Tennessee.
- Jobs4TN – Information for job seekers from the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development
- Tennessee Reconnect - Go to https://www.tnreconnect.gov/ to learn more about opportunities available through Tennessee Reconnect.