Information on the Closing of ITT Technical Institute

Students: Keep up with the latest information
If you have any questions, please contact the Tennessee Higher Education Commission’s Division of Postsecondary State Authorization at 615-741-5293.

Additionally, you can check the following page from the U.S. Department of Education for updates and information: Additionally, the U.S. Department of Education has a page answering Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the closure:


The federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and attorneys general for 44 states and the District of Columbia entered into a settlement agreement effective June 20, 2019 regarding certain ITT student loans managed by Student CU Connect CUSO, LLC (CUSO).

The settlement agreement provides that CUSO must stop collecting on and discharge all outstanding loans. Note that this settlement does not apply to federal student aid loans or non-CUSO private loans.

Students can call 877-662-2470 with questions about the settlement and the status of loan accounts. Please note that it may take up to 30 days for the cancellation of the loans to take effect and that you may still receive billing notices from CUSO. You are not required to make any payments after June 20, 2019.

For more information about the settlement see these Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

UPDATE – 02/05/2018 – Potential Settlement Opportunity for Certain Students of ITT Educational Services and Daniel Webster College

Please read the below information in full. Do not reply to this email or otherwise contact the Tennessee Higher Education Commission concerning the settlement opportunity as we cannot provide advice.

The below information applies to you if you are a former student of ITT Educational Services, Inc. or Daniel Webster College, Inc., who attended ITT between January 1, 2006 and September 16, 2016, or attended Daniel Webster College between January 1, 2009 and September 16, 2016.

On January 3, 2017, former students of ITT Educational Services, Inc. or Daniel Webster College, Inc., on behalf of themselves individually and the Settlement Class, filed a lawsuit. On January 3, 2018, the Bankruptcy Trustee filed a motion seeking Court approval of a Settlement Agreement in the lawsuit. On January 26, 2018, the Court entered an order preliminarily approving the Settlement Agreement. The Court will hold a further hearing on June 13, 2018 to determine approval of the Settlement Agreement on a final basis.

Within thirty (30) days of January 26, 2018, the Bankruptcy Trustee shall send by first class mail Notice to:

  1.  those members of the Settlement Class who have filed “Student Proofs of Claim”;
  2.  those former students who are listed as account debtors on the accounts placed for servicing or collection with University Accounting Services, LLC, Security Credit Systems, Inc., Premiere Credit NA, General Revenue Corporation, FirstSource Financial Solutions, Inc./One Advantage, and any and all other credit agencies for collection, and who have made payments on account of such accounts since the petition date; and 
  3.  all parties who have requested that they receive notice in this case.

The full text of the Notice is available at:

Per the Notice:

The Court has approved lawyers (called “Class Counsel”) to collectively represent all Settlement Class Members. You will not be asked to pay your own personal money for the services of these attorneys and their associates and staff in litigating this case and negotiating this Settlement. Only Class Counsel may act on behalf of the class. However, that does not prevent you from hiring your own lawyer to advise you personally about your rights, options or obligations as a Settlement Class Member in this lawsuit. If you want to be represented by your own lawyer, you may hire one at your own expense.

Class Counsel is the Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School, which may be contacted at:

Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School
122 Boylston Street
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
Tel.: (617) 390-2669

Tax Information for ITT Tech Students

Students have contacted us asking about whether ITT will issue 1098-T tax forms. The forms are not currently available; however,  ITT’s bankruptcy trustee filed a motion for permission to hire a company to issue the forms. The judge in the case is scheduled to hear the motion on January 30, 2017. THEC will update this information when we know the judge’s decision.

Institutions with Comparable Programs

Students can consider transferring to a new institution to complete their education. Students are encouraged to reach out directly to institutions in which they are interested in attending to determine whether credits will transfer and financial aid options available at that institution.

Please check under the FAQs at the bottom of the page for the most up-to-date lists. THEC is in the process of continuously updating the lists. 

Transcripts and Diplomas

The Tennessee Higher Education Commission has transcripts for ITT Tech students that completed or withdrew prior to 2001. For students enrolled in 2001 and later, you should contact Parchment by visiting

Webinars from the U.S. Department of Education

The U.S. Department of Education hosted a webinar for students on the closing of ITT Tech. A recorded version of the webinar can be found here.

Additional Resources


Below are program groups offered by ITT. To see programs that might be an alternative to your ITT program, please select the appropriate program group. Note that THEC surveyed institutions across the state and asked that the institutions provide comparable programs. This is not a guarantee that you will be admitted to a program or that all your credits will transfer to the offering institution. To learn more about any of these programs you must contact the institution. Additional information on public institutions and other institution programs will be added shortly.

Where can I get more information for veterans affected by the ITT Tech closure?
Veterans can contact Deborah Gardner, THEC Director of Veterans Education, at or 615-741-3606 for information and resources for veteran students affected by the closure. 

Veterans can also contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Call Center is available at 1-888-442-4551 (Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. CST) for questions about your GI Bill® benefits, any overpayments, and remaining entitlement.

How do I get updates on how this will affect benefits through the GI Bill® ?
If you have questions regarding how the closure may affect benefits through the GI Bill®, please visit the following page: or call the  U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551.

The TGF was established by the Tennessee General Assembly to reimburse students at certain postsecondary educational institutions, such as Anthem Career College, that close without earning the tuition collected. This is called unearned tuition.

 Please note that this will be a rare situation for most students affected by the ITT Tech closure.

 Important points:

  1. TGF applies only when the closing institution is authorized by THEC and (1) a student attended a physical location of the school in Tennessee or (2) a student is a Tennessee resident and attended a location of the institution outside of Tennessee.
  2. A claim for reimbursement of the unearned tuition must be made within two years of the date the institution discontinued operations.
  3. Unearned tuition includes tuition, registration, general graduation, activity, or other fees that are required to be paid by all students where the institution did not complete the educational obligation or reimburse students.
  4. Monies paid for tangible goods, such as books and equipment, are not reimbursable.
  5. Monies paid for program specific costs are not reimbursable by the TGF, e.g. certification fees charged separately to a student's account.
  6. Monies for expenses such as housing, meals, clothing and transportation, not paid directly to and retained by the institution are not reimbursable.

DPSA notes that generally ITT’s closure ended such that the tuition charged students was for instruction or services that the student received. Nevertheless, DPSA has identified one situation where a student may have a reimbursable TGF claim:

  • The student paid the institution tuition for instruction that did not occur. For example,
    • The student paid cash for a semester, but the institution closed before or during the semester and the student did not receive a refund.
    • The institution received loan monies for a semester but the institution closed before or during the semester and the institution did not return monies to the student’s loan account.

If you believe you fall into one of these two situations you can file a TGF claim by completing the Tennessee Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF) Claim Application and the related Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF) Information Release Authorization. Note that both documents must be completed before THEC will consider your claim. The length of time to review a claim will depend on the number of complaints received and the process could be lengthy. To download the forms, please visit the DPSA Links & Forms page and click on the DPSA Applications/Forms.

Who can I talk to about my federal student loans and Pell Grants?
 If you have general questions about federal loans you should first try to contact your loan servicer. If your questions or complaints are not resolved, DPSA suggests that you contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group of the U.S. Department of Education. More information about this group is available at:

What should I do if I get a check from ITT for a student loan refund and I am unable to cash that check? Students can file for Unpaid Refund Discharge. Go to scroll down to Unpaid Refund Discharge.As it may be difficult for a student to demonstrate that the refund is a Title IV refund, if the student has access to his or her account records in the ITT portal, the student should retrieve the account records.