HUSSIAN COLLEGE - CLOSURE RESOURCES
Note that this page was updated in its entirety on September 21, 2023. THEC will continue to update this webpage as new information becomes available.
If you have any questions, after reviewing this webpage, please contact the Regulatory Compliance Division (“RCD”) of the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (“THEC”) at THEC.RCD@tn.gov. longer providing instruction in Tennessee. HC had three locations in Tennessee. These are:
- Hussian College – (THEC Institution Code 1262) in Nashville, Tennessee
- Hussian College – (THEC Institution Code 1560) in Murfreesboro, Tennessee
- Hussian College – (THEC Institution Code 1259) in Clarksville, Tennessee, which also provides HC online instruction
THEC is in receipt of approximately 40,000 transcripts from HC, including some from Dayar College, which was purchased by HC. The transcripts are for some students who attended online and in residential programs at Clarksville, Murfreesboro and Nashville. To request a transcript from THEC, visit the Academic Transcripts and Certificates page. THEC will update this page as new information is available. There is a ten-dollar ($10.00) processing fee for each request, and a request is processed within ten (10) business days of receipt of the request. THEC is unaware whether HC is still completing transcript requests.
Consumer Information Regarding Debt Collection
If you are receiving aggressive collection correspondence from SFS or loan servicer for outstanding loan balances for your attendance at Hussian College, formerly Daymar College, please see the below debt collection consumer resources:
If you believe you do not owe this loan or the amount requested by SFS or loan servicer is incorrect and you have been unable to resolve the issue with the collecting entity, you may file a complaint with the Division of Consumer Affairs, Office of the Attorney General and Reporter at File a Complaint (tn.gov).
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION - FEDERAL STUDENT LOANS AND PELL GRANTS
THEC hosted a meeting on July 25 to provide former students of HC an opportunity to hear from THEC and the U.S. Department of Education ("the Department") about possible next steps. Information from the meeting was compiled and reflected in the below FAQ:
The Department has created a webpage to assist students whose institution has closed. See the Has Your School Closed? webpage. Other Department webpages that might be useful are the Closed School Discharge page and the Borrower Defense Loan Discharge webpage.
The Department has provided a notice regarding the restoration of Pell Grant eligibility specifically for students who receive(d) an eligible loan discharge.
TUITION GUARANTY FUND (“TGF”)
The TGF was established by the Tennessee General Assembly to reimburse students at certain postsecondary educational institutions that close without earning the tuition collected. This is called unearned tuition.
- TGF applies only when the closing institution is authorized by THEC and (1) a student attended (online or in-person) a physical location of the school in Tennessee or (2) a student is a Tennessee resident and attended a location of the institution outside of Tennessee.
- A claim for reimbursement of the unearned tuition must be made within two (2) years of the date the institution discontinued operations. For purposes of HC, the relevant date will be no earlier than June 12, 2023.
- Unearned tuition includes tuition, registration, general graduation, activity, or other fees that are required to be paid by all students where the institution did not complete the educational obligation or reimburse students.
- Monies paid for tangible goods, such as books and equipment, are not reimbursable.
- Monies paid for program specific costs are not reimbursable by the TGF, for example, certification fees charged separately to a student's account.
- Monies for expenses such as housing, meals, clothing and transportation, not paid directly to and retained by the institution are not reimbursable.
If you believe you fall into one of the two situations described in number 1, you may file a TGF claim by completing the Tennessee Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF) Claim Application and the related Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF) Information Release Authorization. Note that both documents must be completed before RCD will consider your claim. The length of time to review a claim will depend on the number of complaints received and the process could be lengthy. The forms are currently being revised and will be available through this webpage when finalized.
Veterans may be eligible for partial or full restoration of your education benefits. Visit the Restoration of Benefits after School Closure webpage to learn more about your options. Some benefit eligibility may be restored depending on the details of the closing and your particular circumstances.
POTENTIAL TRANSFER INSTITUTIONS IDENTIFIED BY HC
Receiving institutions often request course documentation when considering whether to accept transfer credits. THEC received catalogs and course information from HC. To request information, email THEC.RCD@tn.gov and include your phone number in the email as well as all relevant details.
THEC is aware that students may not have access to their student portal. However, if you are able to access the portal, we recommend that you review your information and download or print your student ledger, unofficial transcript, and any information you believe is important to your future education, such as syllabi and student handbooks.
- Tennessee Board of Regents – Visit a program at a Tennesse Board of Regents institution.
- Tennessee Reconnect - Information on opportunities available through Tennessee Reconnect, a Tennessee initiative to help more adults return to higher education to gain new skills, advance in the workplace, and fulfill lifelong dreams of completing a degree or credential.
- College Pays - Information on financial aid and Tennessee-specific grants and scholarships.
- Launch My Career TN – Information on colleges and majors from institutions across Tennessee.
- Jobs4TN – Information for job seekers from the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development
- The Pennsylvania Department of Education Hussian College Closure