Information on the Closure of Fountainhead College of Technology

If you have questions after reviewing this information please contact the Division of Postsecondary State Authorization (DPSA) of the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC) at 615-741-5293. 

All students enrolled at the time of closure should have received a copy of their transcripts from the institution. Additionally, Fountainhead provided copies of transcripts to THEC. For instructions on how to submit a transcript request form see


  • Comparable programs provided by institutions regulated by THEC
  • Comparable programs offered at public higher education institutions
  • You can also visit and search by Program Name to learn more about state community college and Tennessee colleges of applied technology offerings.
  • Transferability of Credits: You should never assume that credits will transfer to or from any educational institution. The determination as to whether to accept credits is at the discretion of the receiving institution.
  • UPDATE November 7, 2018: South College issued a press release yesterday regarding its plans to facilitate the completion of Fountainhead’s fall semester. Per the release, “students will complete their coursework in classrooms provided by South College at its two Knoxville campuses starting Nov. 12. South College also will compensate Fountainhead College of Technology’s faculty members to teach the courses. Since tuition already has been paid, there will be no additional financial costs for the students.” Any credits or degrees awarded will be from Fountainhead College of Technology. Interested students should contact Carrie Major, the Director of Admissions, at 865-251-1800.

Please go to to learn more about opportunities available through Tennessee Reconnect.

If you have general questions about federal loans you should first try to contact your loan servicer. Additional information on loan forgiveness and refund discharge is available at:

If you still have questions about your Federal Student Loans or Pell Grants, DPSA suggests you contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group of the U.S. Department of Education. More information about this group is available at:

The TGF was established by the Tennessee General Assembly to reimburse students at certain postsecondary educational institutions that close without earning the tuition collected. This is called unearned tuition.

 Important points:

  1. TGF applies only when the closing institution is authorized by THEC and (1) a student attended a physical location of the school in Tennessee or (2) a student is a Tennessee resident and attended a location of the institution outside of Tennessee.
  2. A claim for reimbursement of the unearned tuition must be made within two years of the date the institution discontinued operations.
  3. Unearned tuition includes tuition, registration, general graduation, activity, or other fees that are required to be paid by all students where the institution did not complete the educational obligation or reimburse students.
  4. Monies paid for tangible goods, such as books and equipment, are not reimbursable.
  5. Monies paid for program specific costs are not reimbursable by the TGF, e.g. certification fees charged separately to a student's account.
  6. Monies for expenses such as housing, meals, clothing and transportation, not paid directly to and retained by the institution are not reimbursable.

If you believe you fall into one of these two situations you can file a TGF claim by completing the Tennessee Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF) Claim Application and the related Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF) Information Release Authorization. Before filing a claim, please contact the Tennessee Higher Education Commission’s Division of Postsecondary State Authorization at 615-741-5293. Note that both documents must be completed before THEC will consider your claim. The length of time to review a claim will depend on the number of complaints received and the process could be lengthy. To download the forms, please visit the DPSA Links and Forms page and click on the DPSA Applications/Forms.