Information on the Closure of Nashville Barber and Style Academy
The Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC) learned on April 18, 2019 that the Nashville Barber and Style Academy in Madison, Tennessee closed. THEC is working to gain information on the closure and will update this webpage as information becomes available.
If you have any questions, after reviewing this webpage, please contact the Tennessee Higher Education Commission’s Division of Postsecondary State Authorization (DPSA) at 615-741-5293.
DPSA encourages students to review this site from time-to-time for updated information.
The institution stated that it will provide students with proof of completed hours. Additionally, the institution should provide proof of completed hours to the Department of Commerce and Insurance, Board of Cosmetology & Barber Examiners (https://www.tn.gov/commerce/regboards/cosmo.html).
TRANSFER OPPORTUNITIES (UPDATED 4/3/2019):
Click here for a spreadsheet of comparable programs from institutions authorized by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.
A state-wide list of barber institutions, some of which do not receive Federal Student Aid, is available here.
FEDERAL STUDENT LOANS AND PELL GRANTS:
If you have general questions about federal loans you should first try to contact your loan servicer.
- Information on loan forgiveness and refund discharge is available at: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation
- Information on Borrower Defense to Repayment is available at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/borrower-defense
Please visit https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/FGIB/Restoration.asp to learn more about your options. Some benefit eligibility may be restored depending on the details of the closing and your particular circumstances. To download the Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefit Entitlement Restoration Request Due to School Closure or Withdrawal, click here.
TUITION GUARANTY FUND:
The TGF was established by the Tennessee General Assembly to reimburse students at certain postsecondary educational institutions that close without earning the tuition collected. This is called unearned tuition.
- TGF applies only when the closing institution is authorized by THEC and (1) a student attended a physical location of the school in Tennessee or (2) a student is a Tennessee resident and attended a location of the institution outside of Tennessee.
- A claim for reimbursement of the unearned tuition must be made within two years of the date the institution discontinued operations.
- Unearned tuition includes tuition, registration, general graduation, activity, or other fees that are required to be paid by all students where the institution did not complete the educational obligation or reimburse students.
- Monies paid for tangible goods, such as books and equipment, are not reimbursable.
- Monies paid for program specific costs are not reimbursable by the TGF, e.g. certification fees charged separately to a student's account.
- Monies for expenses such as housing, meals, clothing and transportation, not paid directly to and retained by the institution are not reimbursable.
If you believe you fall into one of these two situations you can file a TGF claim by completing the Tennessee Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF) Claim Application and the related Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF) Information Release Authorization. Before filing a claim, please contact the Tennessee Higher Education Commission’s Division of Postsecondary State Authorization at 615-741-5293. Note that both documents must be completed before THEC will consider your claim. The length of time to review a claim will depend on the number of complaints received and the process could be lengthy. To download the forms, please visit the DPSA Links and Forms page and click on the DPSA Applications/Forms.
- College Pays - Information on financial aid and Tennessee-specific grants and scholarships.
- Launch My Career TN – Information on colleges and majors from institutions across Tennessee.
- Jobs4TN – Information for job seekers from the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development
- Tennessee Reconnect - Go to https://www.tnreconnect.gov/ to learn more about opportunities available through Tennessee Reconnect.