Multimodal Access Grant
TDOT’s Multimodal Access Grant is a state-funded program created to support the transportation needs of pedestrians, bicyclists, and transit users through infrastructure projects that address existing gaps along state routes. Multimodal facilities play an important role in providing transportation choices for people across Tennessee. With half of all trips in the United States being three miles or less, good walking, biking and transit facilities are essential to the continued growth and success of our towns and cities. Multimodal Access Grant projects are state-funded at 90 or 95 percent, depending on the economic status of the project county, up to a total project value of $1,250,000.
The next open application period is expected to be in the spring of 2023.
For questions, contact Robert Johnson at (615)-741-4449 or Robert.R.Johnson@tn.gov.
2022 Application Details
Update to the 2022 round! TDOT match amounts and percentages have changed:
- The maximum total project value for which TDOT will provide match funding has increased to $1,250,000.
- The match percentage for projects located in economically Distressed and At-Risk counties remains at 95% (a new maximum amount of $1,187,500)
- The match percentage for projects in all other locations drops to 90% (a new maximum amount of $1,125,000)
2022 TDOT Delivery Option
TDOT is working to assist communities, especially those in economically Distressed and At Risk Counties, with delivering their awarded projects. TDOT may offer a limited number of 2022 Multimodal Access Grant awardees the option for TDOT to deliver winning projects in their entirety. TDOT will decide which communities will be offered this option at the time awards are announced.
The 2022 Multimodal Access Grant competition is now closed to new applicants.
Over 50 2022 Multimodal Access Grant Notice's of Intent to Apply have been received. They will be assessed for eligibility. Applications found eligible wil be invited to make Full Applications, using the eGrants system.
The confirmed 2022 timeline is:
- April 27th to May 17th - Notice of Intent to Apply period was open for email applications.
- May 17th to June 1st - Notices of Intent to Apply will be reviewed by the Multimodal Planning Office for compliance with the program requirements. Eligible applicants will be invited to submit full applications using the eGrants system
- Wednesday June 1st to Tuesday July 19th - Full Applications period will be open in eGrants, for applications from invited applicants only
- Winter 2022 - Grant awards will be announced
2022 Application Materials
- 2022 Multimodal Access Grant Notice of Intent to Apply form (pdf)
- 2022 Multimodal Access Grant Notice of Intent to Apply Instructions (pdf)
- 2022 Multimodal Access Grant Budget Template (xls)
- 2022 Multimodal Access Grant Guidelines (pdf)
- 2022 Multimodal Access Grant Application (pdf extract of eGrants system webpages) will be here
- A webinar introducing the Multimodal Access Grant program and explaining the selection process was held on April 11th, 2022. Here is a 41 minute recording (mp4) of the webinar. Here is the slideshow (pptx) used at that webinar.
Information From Previous Grant Cycle
There are changes to the 2022 application process compared to the 2021 Multimodal Access Grant cycle. However, for the guidance of new and previous applicants, the materials from the 2021 cycle are here:
- 2021 Multimodal Access Grant Guidelines (pdf)
- 2021 Multimodal Access Grant Application (pdf extract of eGrants system webpages)
- List of Previous Awards (pdf)
- eGrants Application and Grant Management Portal (website)
- eGrants Training Video (link)
- eGrants Training Video (link)
- Local Programs Development Office - Documents (link)
- TDOT Multimodal Project Scoping Manual (pdf)
- TDOT Roadway Design Guidelines: Section 3 - Multimodal Design (pdf)
- Public Rights-of-Way Accessibility Guidelines (PROWAG) (link)