Fiscal Year 2022-2023 Budget Instructions and Forms
As we move into the development of the FY2022-2023 budget, the goal is to continue to provide high-quality services at the lowest possible cost to taxpayers. To do this, agencies should use the following fiscal policy objectives to guide their work in putting together both their cost increase and efficiency plans:
- Ensure a clear link between the administration’s priorities and agency strategic plans and any new spending requests.
- Invest in programs and initiatives supported by evidence and research to improve outcomes and return on investment.
- Evaluate and identify opportunities within the base budget to reallocate dollars to the areas of greatest need.
- Maximize agency resources by removing redundancies, minimizing cost shifts, finding efficiencies, and maintaining a lean workforce.
- In shared service agencies, examine all business processes to ensure low-cost services to line agencies.
The instructions sent out to all agencies from the Commissioner can be found below. Please note that operating and capital outlay budget requests are due to the Division of Budget by September 24, 2021.
This year, we are asking agencies, on any non-mandated request, to provide more detailed information about each request, its necessity, and, where applicable, the evidence supporting any new or expanded service or program in the Budget Entry and Analysis Reporting System (BEARS). Agencies should use the support forms found below to gather the necessary information for each request. Once completed, agency budget officers should upload them to BEARS with the corresponding request and email a version to their agency's budget office analyst.
BEARS is now up and available for FY 2023 request entry.
Cost Increase Support Form (Word template)
Base Reduction Support Form (Word template)
For additional information, scroll to the bottom of this page for short guidance videos on evidence-based budgeting.
• Click on the link. An information download box will appear, Save will be an option.
• Select SAVE. You will be prompted to select the directory where the file is to be downloaded.
• Refer to the Budget instructions from this point forward.
Evidence-Based Budgeting Guidance Videos
1/6 Evidence-Based Budgeting in Tennessee (3:19)
3/6 Evidence of Effectiveness & Where to Find It (7:56)
5/6 Completing the Forms: Reduction Form Part I (4:45)
2/6 Evidence Framework (5:53)
4/6 Completing the Forms: Cost Increase Request Part I (5:40)
6/6 Completing the Forms: Part II, Cost Increase Request & Reduction Forms (5:29)