Six Tennessee Schools Recognized as National Blue Ribbon Schools
Schools Nationally Recognized for Academic Excellence and Closing Achievement Gaps
NASHVILLE, TN—Today, the U.S. Department of Education recognized six Tennessee schools as National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2023. The recognition is based on each school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student groups.
"Congratulations to the six Tennessee schools recognized as 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools,” said Lizzette Reynolds, Commissioner of Education. “What an incredible achievement to show your dedication to closing achievement gaps and providing opportunities for all students to succeed. Thank you to the educators and district and school leaders for your commitment to providing a great education to your students every day.”
The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program recognizes schools from across the country on an annual basis. Of the 353 schools selected nationwide this year, the following Tennessee schools have been selected as 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools:
- Brentwood Middle School, Williamson County Schools
- Middle College at Austin Peay State University, Clarksville-Montgomery County Schools
- Crosswind Elementary School, Collierville Schools
- Fairmont Elementary School, Johnson City Schools
- Linden Elementary School, Oak Ridge Schools
- Nolan Elementary School, Hamilton County Schools
The U.S. Department of Education recognizes all schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, student group scores, and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
Photographs and brief descriptions of all 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools are available here.
For the past 40 years, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has granted approximately 10,000 awards to more than 9,700 schools, with some schools winning multiple awards. To learn more about the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program, click here.
For Tennessee Department of Education media inquiries, contact Edu.MediaInquiries@tn.gov.