Six Tennessee Schools Recognized as National Blue Ribbon Schools
National Award Recognizes Schools Achieving Academic Excellence and Closing Achievement Gaps
NASHVILLE, TN—Today, U.S. Department of Education recognized six Tennessee schools as National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2022. The recognition is based on each school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student groups.
"Congratulations to the six Tennessee schools recognized as 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools for their dedication to closing achievement gaps and promoting success for all students.” said Commissioner Penny Schwinn. “This national recognition is an incredible honor, and I thank the educators and district and school leaders for providing a high-quality education to all your students each and every day.”
The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program recognizes schools from across the country on an annual basis. This year, of 297 schools selected nationwide, the following Tennessee schools have been selected as 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools:
- Grassland Elementary School, Williamson County Schools
- Michigan Avenue Elementary School, Bradley County Schools
- Lookout Mountain Elementary School, Hamilton County Schools
- John Sevier Elementary School, Maryville City Schools
- Glendale Elementary School, Metro Nashville Public Schools
- Thurman Francis Elementary Schools, Rutherford County Schools
The U.S. Department of Education recognizes all schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, student group scores, and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
Photographs and brief descriptions of all 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools are available here.
For the past 39 years, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has granted approximately 10,000 awards to more than 9,000 schools, with some schools winning multiple awards. To learn more about the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program, click here.
For Tennessee Department of Education media inquiries, contact Edu.MediaInquiries@tn.gov.