TennCare for Youth Who Aged-out

Did you age out of Foster Care in Tennessee?  Or did you age out of Foster Care at age 18 years old or older while getting Medicaid in any state?  Are you between the ages of 18 and 26?

Youth who aged out of foster care at age 18 while getting Medicaid can get TennCare coverage until they are 26 years old if they:

  • Aged out of foster care in Tennessee; or
  • Aged out of foster care in any state on or after January 1, 2023.

You are eligible for full insurance benefits, including:

  • Screening, prevention, and early intervention services
  • Diagnostic services and treatment for physical and mental health conditions

Am I covered?

  • Did you age out of foster care in Tennessee?  Or are you about to age out of foster care?  If you continue to live in Tennessee, you will be automatically approved for TennCare until you are 26 years old.  TennCare may contact you if they need more information from you.  If you moved from Tennessee and moved back, you’ll need to reapply for coverage.  Go online to TennCare Connect and reapply.
  • Were you in foster care at age 18 or older and getting Medicaid in any state after January 1, 2023?  You will need to apply for coverage.  Go online to  TennCare Connect and apply.
  • Did you age out of foster care?  Are you receiving Extension of Foster Care Services?  If yes, then you should contact your DCS case manager or TennCare to verify your status.

How do I Apply for Medicaid?

Do you think you’re eligible for TennCare coverage?  To apply for coverage, go online to TennCare Connect and complete an application.  

If you already have TennCare coverage, you can call TennCare Connect at 1-855-259-0701.  It’s a free call.  They are able to help you Monday through Friday 7 am – 7 pm CST.

Do You Need Help Applying for TennCare?  Or Do You Need More Information?

You can apply for TennCare coverage through TennCare Connect.  You can use a paper application.  Or you can apply online or by phone.  To apply online go to tenncareconnect.tn.gov.  To apply by phone, call 1-855-259-0701.

If you need to use a computer to apply for TennCare, your local DHS office will have one you can use.  To find your local DHS office, call the Family Assistance Service Center at 1-866-311-4287.  Or go to https://www.tn.gov/humanservices and click “Office Locations” at the bottom of the page.

Do you want to apply for food stamps or other programs that DHS offers?  Your local DHS office can help you.

You can also call your Regional DCS office and talk to a Health Care Advocacy Representative.  Or call the DCS Independent Living Staff toll-free at 844-887-7277.

Do you still need help applying for TennCare?  Do you have questions?  Do you need to tell TennCare about a change to your address, name, income, or household?  Do you want to apply for TennCare CHOICES in Long-Term Care?  Call TennCare Connect at 1-855-259-0701.  It’s a free call.  They are able to help you Monday through Friday 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. CST.

More Information

Download this informational flyer with more information on TennCare.

Read this: Understanding Health Insurance Options