TennCare for Youth Who Aged-out
Did you age out of Foster Care in Tennessee, or are about to? Are you between the ages of 18 and 26?
If so, you may qualify for insurance through the Affordable Care Act.
Youth who aged out of foster care are able to receive TennCare coverage until they are 26-years-old under the Affordable Care Act, which went into effect January 1, 2014.
You are eligible for full insurance benefits, including:
- Screening, prevention, and early intervention services
- Diagnostic services and treatment for physical and mental health conditions
Am I covered?
- Did you age out of foster care? Or are you about to age out of foster care? As long as you continue to live in Tennessee, you will be automatically approved for TennCare insurance in the Former Foster Care category. TennCare may contact you if they need more information from you. If you moved from Tennessee and moved back, you’ll need to reapply for coverage. Go online to healthcare.gov and reapply.
- Did you age out of foster care? Are you receiving Extension of Foster Care Services? If yes, then you should contact your DCS case manager or TennCare to verify your status.
- Did you age out of foster care and are not receiving Extension of Foster Care Services? Were you denied TennCare coverage? Or do you need to reapply for coverage? If yes, then you need to apply for coverage through the health insurance marketplace. Go online to healthcare.gov and complete an application.
- Did you leave state custody as an adult and weren’t enrolled in TennCare? This could mean you were in a Youth Development Center? If yes, then you need to apply for coverage through the health insurance marketplace. Go online to healthcare.gov and complete an application.
How do I Apply?
To apply for coverage go online to healthcare.gov and complete an application. If you don’t have a computer or Internet access, go to a local DHS office and apply at a kiosk.
To find a DHS office in your county go to https://www.tn.gov/humanservices and click “Office Locations” at the bottom of the page.
Need More Information?
Do you think you’re eligible for TennCare coverage? Call your Regional DCS office and talk to the Health Care Advocacy Representative.
If you already have TennCare coverage, you can call the TennCare Call Center at 1-855-259-0701. It’s a free call. They’re able to help you Monday through Saturday 7 am – 7 pm CST.
You also call the DCS Independent Living Staff toll free, Call DCS toll free, 844-887-7277.
Do You Need Help Applying for TennCare?
You must apply for TennCare coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. You can still use a paper application. But you also can apply online or by phone. To apply online go to healthcare.gov. To apply by phone, call 1-800-318-2596.
If you need to use a computer to apply for TennCare through the Health Insurance Marketplace, your local DHS office will have one you can use. To find a DHS office in your county go to https://www.tn.gov/humanservices and click “Office Locations” at the bottom of the page.
Do you want to apply for food stamps or other programs that DHS offers? Your local DHS office can help you.
Do you still need help applying for TennCare? Do you have questions? Do you need to tell TennCare about a change to your address, name, income, or household? Do you want to apply for TennCare CHOICES in Long-Term Care? Call the TennCare Call Center at 1-855-259-0701. It’s a free call. They’re able to help you Monday through Saturday 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. CST.
Download this informational flyer with more information on TennCare.
Read this: Understanding Health Insurance Options.