Supporting a Child’s Education
Children and youth in foster care come into contact with many adults who share the duty to promote educational success and with whom the Education Specialists work closely. They include:
- Child and Family Teams, which includes biological parents and family service workers, a great place to share information.
- Attorneys specializing in educational issues: Each regional DCS legal division and the Central Office legal team has an attorney specializing in educational issues. These attorneys support the Education Specialists and DCS case managers to ensure children in DCS custody receive appropriate education while in the Department’s care.
- Juvenile Courts, who can ask about attendance, transition and engagement.
- Foster Care Review Boards, an arm of the juvenile court reviews, evaluates and makes recommendations to the department.
- Specialized Foster Care Review Boards review transition plans for older youth.
- Resource Parents, the most important link to helping children.
- Educators and school personnel, who see and work with children daily.