Acceptable Proof of Residency
REMEMBER: Make sure the documents you bring show your name and current address. If you bring a document that is listed that contains your name but does not contain your address, that document will not be accepted.
PLEASE NOTE: All documents are subject to verification with the issuing agency or source. Documents subject to verification may delay the issuance of your permit, driver license, identification only license, temporary driver license or temporary identification license.
Items must be original documents. No photocopies will be accepted!
To prove Tennessee residency, applicants must provide the following:
- Documents must show residence address used on application and your name or the name of your spouse. Proof of relationship will be required unless you are using the spouse’s Tennessee Driver License number and it has the same last name and address as the applicant.
- If the applicant is a minor child or adult child still residing with parents, proof of relationship is also required with the name of the parent or legal guardian.
Examples showing residence address used on application and your name, or name of your parent, guardian or spouse
- Current utility bill including landline telephone, electric, water, gas, cable, etc. (Wireless telephone bills cannot be accepted)
- Current bank statement (Internet bank statements are acceptable only if taken to the local bank, stamped and dated by teller as an active account. Checks and checkbook information are not acceptable)
- Current rental/Mortgage contract or receipt including deed of sale for property.
- Current employer verification of residence address or letter from employer as long as it is on company letterhead with original signature. If employer does not have letterhead then signature of employer must be notarized.
- Current paycheck/check stub, work ID or badge, if address is included.
- Current automobile, life or health insurance policy (Wallet Cards cannot be accepted)
- Current driver license/ID issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety to a parent, legal guardian or spouse of applicant
- Current Tennessee motor vehicle registration or title
- Current Tennessee voter registration
- Current Internal Revenue Service tax reporting W-2 form within last 12 months
- Receipt for personal property or real estate taxes paid within past last year
- In case of a student enrolled in public or private school in this state, student may provide a photo student ID and acceptable documentation from the Dean or Bursar Office that the student lives on campus.
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) issued by the Internal Revenue Service
- Form I-94 issued to the applicant by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service
- Employment Authorization card (I-766) issued to the applicant by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service
- I-551 issued to the applicant by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service
Both items may NOT be from the same source. For example an applicant could NOT use:
Vehicle registration and vehicle title for same vehicle or documentation for multiple vehicles
Water and Gas bill from the same utility
Wireless, Cable and Telephone bills from the same company
All items are required to be current documents within the past four (4) months.
Internal Revenue Service documents must be from the current tax year.