Disabled Plates & Placards
Disabled driver or passenger license plates, placards and decals are available to Tennessee residents who:
- are confined to a wheelchair.
- walk with difficulty or uncertainty.
- have 20/200 vision or worse with corrective lenses.
- are the parent or legal guardian of a person who is permanently disabled and incapable of operating a motor vehicle.
An agency can obtain a disabled placard if it:
- transports disabled clients;
- uses the placard only when transporting disabled clients; and
- secures just one placard per vehicle owned and operated for the purpose of transporting disabled clients.
Temporary disabled placards are:
- available to those with a temporary disabling condition.
- valid for up to six months.
- reissued once, if necessary.
A disabled driver decal is available to people with a permanent disability who currently own or purchase a specialty plate.