Request an Informal Conference
Any taxpayer who has received a notice of proposed assessment may request an informal conference. At the informal conference, the taxpayer can explain to a hearing officer why he or she thinks the proposed assessment is incorrect.
Not all taxpayers need a hearing officer to review the proposed assessment. The proposed assessment can usually be resolved quickly without an informal conference if the taxpayer:
- Received an estimated assessment
- Filed a return but did not pay all the tax reported as due on the return
- Closed the business but has not closed the tax account
- Was assessed only a penalty, with no additional tax due
For taxpayers whose issues cannot be resolved without a conference, the Department of Revenue will contact the taxpayer within ten days of the conference request to arrange a time and date for the conference to take place.
A taxpayer must make a conference request in writing within 30 days from the date of the notice of proposed assessment.
If you have any additional questions, please call us at (615) 741-3810. The Hearing Office is excited to now offer in-person conferences via Microsoft Teams. Contact us for more information.
- Click here for additional guidance about informal conferences.
- The Annual Reports provide a high-level overview of selected topics of interest and do not constitute “published guidance,” as defined in Tenn. Code Ann. § 67-1-108.