Survey of Historic Resources
The survey of historic resources is ongoing. After years of work, the Tennessee Historical Commission (THC) has created a digital format for collecting data to be entered into the Tennessee Historical Commission’s Historical Architectural Survey GIS System. This Survey123 application will streamline the data collection process. The survey will always remain a work-in-process, with newly fifty-year-old properties surveyed and updates made as needed. Historic Preservation Fund grants are given to communities to survey properties with a priority for surveys or updates in Certified Local Government communities. Contact the staff below for any questions about updating or starting a survey in your area.
To Use the Survey 123 Application:
- First time users should see Survey123 for ArcGIS Getting Started for step by step instructions to download the application and THC survey form.
- The Survey123 for ArcGIS Data Tutorial provides a detailed tutorial on the entire survey form.
- THC has updated The Tennessee Historical and Architectural Survey Manual for use with the new survey application. It is available by clicking the link or the image below.
Archaeological resources are surveyed by the Tennessee Division of Archaeology.
Section 106 and Historic Resource Survey
Currently, our survey office is closed for Section 106 research appointments but we will assist you with your project virtually. In order to assist with your project:
- Survey data for much of the state
- Current list of properties in the National Register from Tennessee that includes an address and date the property was listed. Digital National Register files and our National Register page.
- A list of information files (current to November 2020) is available. Contact National Register staff or e-mail National.Register@tn.gov with questions or to obtain digital copies of the files.
- If you have any questions about the Section 106 process, more information and contacts.
Areas of the state that have been surveyed for historic resources as of June 2021
*The SHPO Architectural Survey data can also be found here for use with ArcGIS mapping products, including ArcOnline, a free mapping application.
|For existing surveys, updating surveys, and new surveys||For Starting or Updating a CLG Survey see the Contact for Your Area|