Board of Optometry
The amendment to Rule 1045-02-.05(1) changes total required continuing education hours from thirty (30) to forty (40). Effective January 1, 2020, an Optometrist with a renewal date in the year 2020 and beyond must complete forty (40) hours of Board approved continuing education during the twenty-four (24) months that precede the licensure renewal month.
CONTINUING EDUCATION APPROVED VENDOR LIST
- Course(s) sponsored by an Optometry College accredited by the American Optometric Council on Education (ACOE).
- Course(s) sponsored by the American Optometric Association (AOA) or an affiliate of the AOA.
- Course(s) sponsored by the Tennessee Association of Optometric Physicians (TAOP) or an affiliate of TAOP.
- Course(s) sponsored by the American Academy of Optometry (AAO) or an affiliate of the AAO.
- Course(s) offered at Southern Educational Congress of Optometry (SECO)
- Course(s) offered at Tennessee Academy of Optometry
The Tennessee Board of Optometry reserves the right to amend this list as necessary. Any questions or concerns should be directed to the Secretary of the Tennessee Board of Optometry.
Except for grand clinical rounds and courses provided by the Tennessee Academy of Optometry, and except for the one (1) hour course designed specifically to address prescribing practices, all continuing education courses shall be approved by the Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry’s Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (COPE).
For those therapeutically certified optometrists who have received approval to use pharmaceutical agents by injection pursuant to subparagraph 1045-02-.07 (3)(d), current certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is required.