About the Tennessee Strong Families Grant Program
As Governor Bill Lee discussed in his State of the State address, “pro-life is much more than protecting the lives of the unborn – it’s about the dignity of every human being.” Governor Lee has made it a priority to boost support for mothers, children and families facing a crisis pregnancy. The result is a significant investment in resources for Tennessee mothers, children and families, including $20 million in the Fiscal Year 2023-24 budget to create an innovative grant program that will improve access to maternal healthcare and boost critical resources for expecting mothers by supporting local nonprofit organizations and pregnancy centers across the state.
Every community has different needs, so this grant program will provide the opportunity for nonprofit organizations and pregnancy centers serving Tennesseans to partner with the state to provide support based on the unique needs of the mothers, children and families they serve. Examples of these services include:
· Direct services for pregnancy support, which can include medical, mental health or other counseling services.
· Support for Tennesseans who are considering adoption.
· Workforce assistance to prepare new moms for self-sufficiency.
· Housing assistance to help moms in crisis find a safe and stable place to live.
· Additional wraparound services to support vulnerable mothers and their children, including but not limited to, childcare and transportation.
This new program is just one facet of the Governor’s Strong Tennessee Families initiative, for which dedicated a historic investment of more than $600 million in the FY24 budget.